Thread poster: Tobias Werner
RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:49
English
In Tag Editor Sep 9, 2010

Hi Rodolfo,

I was really only looking at the proposed workflow ini this thread because I think its risky. However,

But this is only theory for me so I'll leave it here.

Regards

Paul

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:49
French to Polish
+ ...
Caveat Sep 9, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

If it doesn't work, take a look on Swordfish (a 30 days trial is available), it permits to convert SDLXLIFF to TTX.
If it works OK, import and translate in MQ, then export an convert back to SDLXLIFF.

Risky I think.

The CAT hopping is always risky.
The cascaded CAT hopping may be a pure suicide but sometimes it's still the best way to deal with the initial crap.

I played with this a little as it's shown up in a few threads and if your source file is plain text it's ok (although it still won't give you the match values) but if your file is formatted I think you are likely to find problems with some formatted source text being unavailable for translation, changes made to tags that prevent a proper clean up etc.

Yes, I know Swordfish sometimes may behave incorrectly (e.g. joining segments across the paragraph boundary causes errors but, at least, Swordfish displays a warning).
If you know well where the problems may arise, you simply make attention.
If you don't know what may go wrong, you must make some tests

But let's not get into picking holes, the point I really wanted to make was just about the risks of going to TTX through the mechanism GG mentioned... unless I just fail to see how to create the TTX properly in Swordfish (also possible)

Well, it's not a "true" TTX but it's still a valid TTX-like format you can easily process in TagEditor (or compatible) and export in Swordfish

Cheers
GG

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing Trados Studio files in MemoQ

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »