Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Editing Trados Studio files in MemoQ
Thread poster: Tobias Werner

Tobias Werner  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:21
English to German
Aug 26, 2010

Hi,

I sometimes receive projects in Trados Studio 2009. But since I'm not used to it right now and do not like it yet I would prefer to handle the files in MemoQ. So I look for a possibilty to export Studio projects and import them in MemoQ.

I tried to open a *.sdlxliff created by Studio in MemoQ. It worked somehow but obviously not all file properties are transferred. For example it does not show confirmed matches but displays them as not edited.

I need to deliver a Studio project file. Is it possible to edit in MemoQ and import back again in Studio? Does someone know if this possible and maybe explain how? Thanks.

Kind regards,
Tobias

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not possible, as far as I know Aug 27, 2010

Maybe Kilgray will correct me here, but right now it is not possible to safely work with SDLXLIFF files in MemoQ. MemoQ perfectly handles XLIFF files, with the standard specifications, but SDL added non-standard extensions to SDLXLIFF which add a degree of uncertainty when opening these files with other tools.

This is not a fault on the part of MemoQ, which follows the standard spec, but on SDL's decision to add non-standard extensions. I wonder whether SDL would find it reasonable to create a "SDLASCII" format for plain text files when ASCII already exists and is accepted universally. It is difficult to assess whether this strategy of adding non-standard things to standard formats will be financially good for SDL in the long run, but my guess is that it will not. You cannot shake your competitors off by changing the game. XLIFF is here to stay and in the long run SDL Trados Studio will have to support 100% standard XLIFF files.

If what your customer needs is the translation, you might want to offer them the possibility of translating a TTX (which you can do in MemoQ with a presegmented file; if you don't have any Trados version you can ask your customer to presegment themselves).

English to German
TOPIC STARTER
ok Aug 27, 2010

Hi Tomás,

Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

I'll have to work in Trados Studio then. Unfortunately TTX is not an option in this case.

Tobias

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Manual action needed in Trados Aug 27, 2010

Tobias Werner wrote:

I tried to open a *.sdlxliff created by Studio in MemoQ. It worked somehow but obviously not all file properties are transferred. For example it does not show confirmed matches but displays them as not edited.

Yes, it works like that.
You should apply the segment status manually in Trados.
In order to avoid the automatic matches insertion in T2009. you should disable "Enable implicit row activation" (Tools, Options, Editor).

I need to deliver a Studio project file. Is it possible to edit in MemoQ and import back again in Studio? Does someone know if this possible and maybe explain how?

It should work if you proceeed as above.
At least it worked for me for some files I tested.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-08-27 11:02 GMT]

French to Polish
+ ...
SDXLIFF extensions... TTX... Aug 27, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Maybe Kilgray will correct me here, but right now it is not possible to safely work with SDLXLIFF files in MemoQ. MemoQ perfectly handles XLIFF files, with the standard specifications, but SDL added non-standard extensions to SDLXLIFF which add a degree of uncertainty when opening these files with other tools.

AFAIK memoQ simply skips the unrecognized extensions i.e. leave 'em "as is".
Probably it's the reason why it doesn't modify the segment status in the exported file.

If what your customer needs is the translation, you might want to offer them the possibility of translating a TTX (which you can do in MemoQ with a presegmented file; if you don't have any Trados version you can ask your customer to presegment themselves).

The TTX workfow is universally tested so. me too, I recommand it.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-08-27 08:41 GMT]

English to German
TOPIC STARTER
still... Aug 27, 2010

Hi Grzegorz,

Thanks for your answer.

I tried to change the described setting but so far it did not work. MemoQ still does not show any status.

The file that I have contains several perfect and fuzzy matches. Do I have to apply the segment status for every single match manually or is it sufficient to change the setting?

Tobias

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just did a test with a customer Aug 27, 2010

My test comprised opening a SDXLIFF customer file in MemoQ, making changes, and returning to him. Indeed it worked perfectly. I did a comparison in text format of the two files and other than what I have changed, there isn't any noticeable change between my customer's file and the one I sent back, saved from MemoQ.

When you say there are fuzzy matches, do you mean that your customer pretranslated the file so that fuzzies are shown as translations?

English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Pretranslated Aug 27, 2010

Yes, the file is quite large and pretranslated. So I need to have the pretranslation with the status in MemoQ as well. The pretranslation shows up but I can't tell the difference between fuzzy and perfect match.

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Text editing... Aug 27, 2010

Tobias Werner wrote:

Yes, the file is quite large and pretranslated. So I need to have the pretranslation with the status in MemoQ as well. The pretranslation shows up but I can't tell the difference between fuzzy and perfect match.

If you are handy with text editing, you might have a look how MemoQ shows such segments in XLIFF. Then you could try adding this information to the SDLXLIFF based on the existing values.

Of course, this is not trivial - some serious regex-fu would be required.

French to Polish
+ ...
Workaround... Aug 27, 2010

Tobias Werner wrote:

Sorry, I'm on holiday, so I will not test it thoroughlyicon_smile.gif

If it doesn't work, take a look on Swordfish (a 30 days trial is available), it permits to convert SDLXLIFF to TTX.
If it works OK, import and translate in MQ, then export an convert back to SDLXLIFF.

Cheers
GG

English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Aug 27, 2010

...a lot guys but this is too much workaround for me. I guess I just have to try and get familiar with Studio.

Enjoy your holidays!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
TTX, Tags and XLIFF Sep 9, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

If it doesn't work, take a look on Swordfish (a 30 days trial is available), it permits to convert SDLXLIFF to TTX.
If it works OK, import and translate in MQ, then export an convert back to SDLXLIFF.

Cheers
GG

Risky I think. I played with this a little as it's shown up in a few threads and if your source file is plain text it's ok (although it still won't give you the match values) but if your file is formatted I think you are likely to find problems with some formatted source text being unavailable for translation, changes made to tags that prevent a proper clean up etc.

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:
This is not a fault on the part of MemoQ, which follows the standard spec, but on SDL's decision to add non-standard extensions.

This is incorrect Tomás, we do use a custom extension for match values (as memoQ and anyone else using XLIFF do ) but it is allowable under the XLIFF standard and it isn't encrypted. But let's not get into picking holes, the point I really wanted to make was just about the risks of going to TTX through the mechanism GG mentioned... unless I just fail to see how to create the TTX properly in Swordfish (also possibleicon_wink.gif)

Regards

Paul

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:21
English to Spanish
Swordfish's TTX Sep 9, 2010

SDL Support wrote:
Risky I think. I played with this a little as it's shown up in a few threads and if your source file is plain text it's ok (although it still won't give you the match values) but if your file is formatted I think you are likely to find problems with some formatted source text being unavailable for translation, changes made to tags that prevent a proper clean up etc.

You are wrong Paul, this is not risky at all. TagEditor is not capable of doing cleanup, but it does not matter as the cleanup is done by Swordfish. Swordfish checks inline tags before converting to original format, giving the user a chance to fix the mistakes.

Swordfish can convert any XLIFF file that it creates to TTX, including those that have heavy formatting.

SDL Support wrote:
But let's not get into picking holes, the point I really wanted to make was just about the risks of going to TTX through the mechanism GG mentioned... unless I just fail to see how to create the TTX properly in Swordfish (also possibleicon_wink.gif)

Swordfish creates TTX files that TagEditor can handle. Conversion to original format is done by Swordfish, not TagEditor.

This featured was introduced in Swordfish because TagEditor cannot properly handle XLIFF files without the aid of Synergy. And Synergy has its problems too, so support for XLIFF is not reliable in TagEditor.

It is interesting to note that a TTX generated by Swordfish is much cleaner and easier to read than the TTX generated by Synergy from the same XLIFF file.

Agencies requested a way to let Trados users work with with their files. As XLIFF is not well supported by Trados, a TTX route is offered as alternative.

The idea is to let users of TagEditor translate files that they can't handle otherwise. And it works.

Regards,
Rodolfo

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Could be me ..! Sep 9, 2010

Hi Rodolfo,

I did say the problem could be me. I can perfectly see the logic behihnd using Swordfish to create a TTX for a file format that Trados could not handle. Where my problem lies is in using Swordfish to create a TTX from an SDLXLIFF and then going to memoQ, or another tool, for example.

When I looked at this I get results like this;

The tags (ignoring that they have lost any reference to their type) now contain text that should be translated. In this case the target was already translated in the SDLXLIFF but if it hadn't been how would I now use memoQ to translate try as versuchen?

Like I said, this could easily have been me not using Swordfish correctly but as my formatted word document was full of things like this my initial reaction would be to avoid hopping like this if I could. It would be better for the user in this post to either accept that the match values are missing and use memoQ directly on the SDLXLIFF or use Studio (my obvious preference) to get the full range of features intended to make life easier when you work on an SDLXLIFF.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2010-09-09 15:24 GMT]

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:21
English to Spanish
Open TTX files in TagEditor Sep 9, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Rodolfo,

I did say the problem could be me. I can perfectly see the logic behihnd using Swordfish to create a TTX for a file format that Trados could not handle. Where my problem lies is in using Swordfish to create a TTX from an SDLXLIFF and then going to memoQ, or another tool, for example.

When I looked at this I get results like this;

The tags (ignoring that they have lost any reference to their type) now contain text that should be translated. In this case the target was already translated in the SDLXLIFF but if it hadn't been how would I now use memoQ to translate try as versuchen?

Open the file in TagEditor and you will be able to translate try as versuchen.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing Trados Studio files in MemoQ

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search