Copy entries in Term Base
Thread poster: Profdoc
Profdoc
Profdoc
Local time: 09:59
Swedish to English
Sep 20, 2010

Is there an easy way to copy several entries from one language to another in the same term base? (In this case from "English" to "English (United Kingdom)".)

[Edited at 2010-09-20 15:15 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same need here - My solution Sep 22, 2010

Indeed this is a very good question. I had the same problem several times. Lately I always select the same locale for English, independently of the files I receive from the customer, just to avoid this kind of problem.

I'd do the following:
- Make sure your termbase contains both locales, in your case English and English (United Kingdom). To do so, from the Resource console, choose your termbase and click Properties. In the Languages list, make sure both locales are checked. C
... See more
Indeed this is a very good question. I had the same problem several times. Lately I always select the same locale for English, independently of the files I receive from the customer, just to avoid this kind of problem.

I'd do the following:
- Make sure your termbase contains both locales, in your case English and English (United Kingdom). To do so, from the Resource console, choose your termbase and click Properties. In the Languages list, make sure both locales are checked. Click OK to close this.

- From the Resource console, select your termbase and choose Export to CSV. Export the whole file as a CSV.

- Again in the Resource console, select your termbase and choose Import from CSV/XML, browse for the CSV file you just created.

- Make sure you check the "Update existing entries based on ID"! If you don't do this, you will have duplicate entries! You want to update the existing entries.

- In the list Fields, look for the source locale (for just English, look for "English"). Select it. The radio buttons on the right should now say "Import as term: English". In the drop-down list of languages, change to "Import as term: English (United Kingdom)".

I think this should do it. Click OK and see what happens.

If anything goes wrong (you copy he wrong locales, you get duplicated entries...), you can always delete your termbase again and import it anew from the exported CSV file you created. MemoQ is very simple when it comes to making a CSV file, since it exports all fields and locales activated, and leaves fields empty so that you can easily process data in other applications, unlike SDL Multiterm, which makes a real mess of it by not keeping the empty fields. If you have ever used a Multiterm CSV you know what I mean!

Good luck with it!
Collapse

Profdoc
Profdoc
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 22, 2010

I actually managed to come up with the same solution but I missed out on checking "Update existing entries based on ID" -- that made all the difference.

[Edited at 2010-09-23 07:45 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Glad it worked! Sep 23, 2010

Cheers!

[Edited at 2010-09-23 13:59 GMT]

Profdoc
Profdoc
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again! Sep 23, 2010

I posted a message yesterday but it hasn't been approved yet for some reason. It's visible on my screen but tinted gray when I'm logged in.

Anyway -- yes it did work! I almost managed to figure it out myself but I missed checking the "Update existing entries based on ID" box. So thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copy entries in Term Base

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »