display selected HTML tags
Thread poster: Leipziger1
Oct 4, 2010

i am new to using the software, and my primary purpose is to translate XML files, in order to translate websites into other languages without losing the formating etc.

i have encountered the problem that if i import the XML file and begin to translate it, some words to be translated which are within the HTML tags are obscured and thus not in the translation list (which is normally a good thing), but of course where i have links in the XML document, i also need to translate the anchor text (ie, the "title=" and the section which follows the link address which is your anchor text contained within > < symbols) which is not being shown up because it is within the tags. for instance, i can translate the title (for instance "Shoes") into "Schuhe" but i cannot translate the rest....

thanks! much appreciated

PS i tried to copy & paste the html parts in question to make it more clear what i mean, however most seem to be blocked by the forum

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:41
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do you have a DTD file for your XML files? Oct 5, 2010

I wonder whether you have a DTD file you have received as part of the translatables. If you have one, maybe when you add the files to the project you want to use the Add document as... option instead of the Add document option and select the DTD in the dialog box that appears.

This dialog box has plenty of other options that you can tweak to achieve your results, and which you can save for future use with the same customer.

I haven't used that dialog much as I usually handle XML files as TTX files, but I'd be happy to try to find a solution for you if I can. Please feel free to drop me a line via Proz.com's email and I'll give you my email.

Direct link Reply with quote

missing links Oct 6, 2010

hi, thanks for getting back to me

i did manage to solve the issue, by altering the XML and HTML display tags, but now the more i translate i have run into another problem

the XML document i import is obviously full of links, which are shown (before translation) in the translation preview. when i translate one of those words, the new word appears (not in the same foramatting) and the link has been deleted...so when i export it, i no longer have a website, just a list of words...any ideas?

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

display selected HTML tags

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search