Primary vs. non-primary translation memories
Thread poster: Profdoc
Profdoc
Local time: 00:01
Swedish to English
Oct 7, 2010

This is pretty basic stuff but I need to check if I've got it right:

1. A project's primary translation memory will be updated with every translation done in the project, even those fetched from other included translation memories not set as primary. Correct?

2. The primary translation memory is active (so to speak) and will change. The other included translations memories are passive (so to speak), i.e. they are just used as reference and will not change during work. Correct?

I'm putting together a quick guide for a few collegues who haven't used memoQ before, and I don't want to confuse them more than necessary.

Thanks!

[Edited at 2010-10-07 10:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-10-07 10:19 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:01
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
yup Oct 7, 2010

That sounds about right.

You might want to ask in the mailing list though:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/memoQ/

Michael

Profdoc
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 7, 2010

And thanks for the mailing list tip, too.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly Oct 7, 2010

Yes, indeed it works as you describe it.

Now, the primary memory can be selected also on the fly, by simply right-clicking a non-primary memory and choosing Set as primary. This could be the case if you have created the project incorrectly and need to switch memories, or for instance if there is some particular section of your file you want to add to another memory as well.

Imagine for instance that you are translating a technical document which contains a legal/copyright/regulatory chapter. You might want to use your technical memory for the technical part, and then a legal translation for the legal part. By switching memories on the fly you can do that. However, be careful with global Confirm operations in this scenario, so that you don't fill your technical memory with legal stuff or your legal memory with technical stuff!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Primary vs. non-primary translation memories

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search