Alignment and CSV import problems.
Thread poster: JasonSharp

JasonSharp
Local time: 01:59
Chinese to English
+ ...
Oct 15, 2010

I'm a new freelance translator. I've used Trados extensively before, however I've been trying out Memoq recently and I like the program a lot better. I am having some huge problems with aligning documents and important CSV as TMX. I haven't purchased the program yet, but will purchase it at the end of my trial as long as I can solve my problems.

Alignment problem:

I have a document in Chinese and a document in English - I go through the alignment steps, but over 50% of the document is not aligned correctly. Memoq automatically joins segments of my target language (English) for some reason. In settings I customized English and Chinese import options to import as is - aka I turned off all rules, yet I still get joined and split segments. Why is this?

I must be doing something wrong because I haven't seen any posts about alignment problems in the forums. I would go in and manually re-align the document, but it's 13,000 lines long. That's not an easy task.

CSV import as TMX:

I have an excel document with Chinese in first column and English in the second. I export as a CSV document, then import as TMX. The English imports fine, but the Chinese is not encoded correctly, UTF-8 encoding does not work and there is no GBK encoding option for simplified Chinese.

Is there a better way to go from Excel to TMX?

Thanks everyone for the help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alignment and CSV import problems.

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search