Pre-translated segment changes to a different match
Thread poster: Gail Bond MITI

Gail Bond MITI  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:05
Member (2009)
French to English
Oct 22, 2010

I've run a pre-translate on a document, and it has inserted several fuzzy matches. But when I click in the segment to confirm or amend it, it changes to a different fuzzy match from another TM. More often than not, I would have preferred the first match, so it's frustrating having to put it back in. Is this to do with how my TMs are configured?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Probably... Oct 22, 2010

Yes, I know what you mean and have experienced this too. I think that it is due to the fact that, when you advance in the translation of a file, the contents of the memory changes (since it now contains more segments) and MemoQ chooses a segment that (now) has a higher match.

If you pretranslate a document and feel that you most probably will like the pretranslation better than the segments proposed when you reach the segment, you can as well confirm the pretranslations before starting to translate the empty segments. To do so, pretranslate, then use Operations > Confirm and Update Rows > only choose the checkbox "100% or 101% pre-translated", and OK.

I hope this helps!

Pavel Nikonorkin  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:05
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
MQ does not take into account TM penalties when pretranslating Oct 23, 2010

That is why penalties are useless if you are going to pretranslate your project with several TMs which should have different priorities. That is why when you start working with pretranslated text MQ uses penalties and change percentage match. It could be rather confusing because one may need to lock 100% matches.
Incorrect percentage match could mislead a translator and make him to take a wrong decision.

[Edited at 2010-10-23 14:34 GMT]

Gail Bond MITI  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:05
Member (2009)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, I don't quite understand... Oct 23, 2010

Pavel, I'm sorry I don't quite understand what you mean... do I need to change some penalty settings to fix my problem?

Thank you

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I think he means that... Oct 23, 2010

I think that what Pavel means to say is that, when you pretranslate, MemoQ does not take into account the different penalties (reductions of match percentage based on who made the segment; you can define them in Project Home > Settings > TM Settings icon). I haven't checked that, but suspect that he might be right.

Do you have such penalties defined in your project?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pre-translated segment changes to a different match

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search