Excel file will not load into MemoQ
Thread poster: Gail Bond MITI

Gail Bond MITI  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:36
Member (2009)
French to English
Nov 28, 2010

I'm trying to open an Excel file in MemoQ. It's not a big file, only 127k, but it gets about half way through and then just stops. Any ideas?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:36
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have you checked... Nov 28, 2010

...whether you have Excel installed in your machine and what version it is? Remember that MemoQ requires that you have the same version of Excel installed as the version of the file you want to import.

If you have an older Excel in your machine and the Excel file you have received is of a newer version, you might want to try to save the file with your older Excel in the old Excel format (with a different name so that you don't lose anything), and try again.

I hope this helps!

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Tried saving as a different version... still no luck Nov 28, 2010

Hi Tomás,

I have Excel 2007 on my computer, and the file is Excel 97-2003. I didn't realise they had to match. So I have saved the file in Excel 2007, as a .xlsx file, but MemoQ doesn't seem to recognise this format. It asks me to change the import settings... I set an Excel filter, but the same things happens, it gets half way through then stops.

Not sure what else to do...

Frank van Thienen  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:36
Dutch to English
create a new spreadsheet Nov 28, 2010

I have Excel 2007 on my computer, and the file is Excel 97-2003...

Hi Gail,

First, I believe that memoQ does not yet have a filter for .xlsx (2007+) Excel files, so you need to stick with the Excel 97 format.

If problems persist, and the spreadsheet isn't terribly complex, I would try to copy the information to a brand new spreadsheet, and import that.
If formatting and such makes it too complicated, then at least copy the worksheet(s) (i.e. Sheet 1, Sheet 2, etc) with information to a new spreadsheet.

I have frequently run into spreadsheets that appear to have "something" buried inside that causes problems. Copying the data may leave that problem behind.

HTH
Frank

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:36
German to Spanish
Maybe Dec 3, 2010

Filters and/or macros inside the sheet?

Regards

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Fixed it... Dec 3, 2010

...it was the preview generation that was causing the problem, so I switched that off and it worked fine.

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel file will not load into MemoQ

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search