Issue with moving LiveDocs documents
Thread poster: Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia

Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia
Australia
Local time: 14:21
English
+ ...
Jan 13, 2011

I have to admit, it was a silly thing of me to do - I got excited about the LiveDocs function and created 3 separate corpus, one for one of my major clients (they send me a lot of stuff and I want to keep that separate), and 2 for other clients. Now I realise that I would be much better off with one master corpus for the other clients.

My question is - how do I combine the two corpus??

There is no "move documents between corpus" function. There is also no "rename corpus" function either. I have about 30 documents in the corpus that I would like to move across.

I tried exporting the documents and re-importing them, however for some reason they import blank. As it, there is simply no text in the imported docs, which isn't very useful, obviously. I am getting a warning message saying "Some content from the XLIFF file has not been imported because the project's languages are different from the languages specified in the file", however that's very odd because the language are the same. (My target language is English and I have it set in memoQ as just English, I don't like mucking around with the regional variations.)

Please help. Thank you beforehand!

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxPzit
English to Italian
No solution probably Jan 13, 2011

Hi Daria,
the excitement around the LiveDocs is well funded, but this feature seems to have some limitations.

The fact that corpora can't be renamed is quite annoying. For example, I'm working with a nondescript "My Corpus" collection for the time being, but it annoys me and I'm going to re-import every document from scratch into a properly named corpus. I don't think there's a way around that.

Exporting and then re-importing docs can be messy, especially if you have bilingual and monolingual documents in the same corpus. I tried that too, unsuccessfully.

That said, you can still attach as many corpora as you wish to a single project, so as long as you don't mind non descriptive names, you can use all three collections you mention in your project.

Kilgray organized a webinar about LiveDocs for Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:00 PM CET. I'm planning to attend it and ask them about these issues.

Stefano

Australia
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pity Jan 13, 2011

Hi Stefano,

yeah, a "rename" function would have been perfect. I guess I'll just have to do the same - reimport all of those documents from scratch into the new corpus, and think hard about the new name first!

That said, I love the feature that allows you to add the new completed translations directly into the corpus. Very useful and provides an extra context dimension to the TM.

I seem to have problems exporting the documents out of the corpus through, it would be nice if one could "backtrack" and extract the translations easily. For example, in a situation where a client wants the translation re-sent to them a few months later, or if you want to have another copy for some reason. For now, I keep a backup of them, as usual, but it would be a nice little function for the LiveDocs.

Do let me know what Kilgray say about this in the webinar, please! I sent an email to their support, but haven't heard anything yet.

Cheers,

Daria

LawTrans  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:21
English to German
+ ...
Any new developments? Feb 9, 2011

Hello Daria and Stefano,
I have the exact same problem. I've exported a whole series of documents from a LiveDocs folder but can't find any way to re-import them. I get the same errors as Daria. Did anything come out of the webinar in January?

Thanks in advance!

Sebastijan Pilko  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 05:21
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Solution is on the way? Apr 5, 2011

LawTrans wrote:

Hello Daria and Stefano,
I have the exact same problem. I've exported a whole series of documents from a LiveDocs folder but can't find any way to re-import them. I get the same errors as Daria. Did anything come out of the webinar in January?

Thanks in advance!

You can only export corpus as xlz file which cannot be re-imported.

I was told by Kilgray that they are working on solving this issue.

Kind regards

Australia
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same here Apr 5, 2011

Sebastijan Pilko wrote:

You can only export corpus as xlz file which cannot be re-imported.

I was told by Kilgray that they are working on solving this issue.

I had a long discussion with Kilgray technical support about this issue, and in the end it was revealed that it's impossible to export and re-import LiveDocs in the current user version of memoQ without encountering this problem. However, the tech support guy could do it in his version, so it's technically possible to re-import the documents correctly.

He said that they are working on resolving this issue in the future release of the program.

Until then, I guess, we'll have to keep copies of all these documents and import them from scratch. Or not try to rename our corpora.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Issue with moving LiveDocs documents

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search