Transferring contents from old to new TM
Thread poster: Profdoc
Profdoc
Local time: 20:32
Swedish to English
Jan 24, 2011

OK, this might look a bit confusing, but anyway:

Let's say I'm working on a project translating a document called New Text, which is an updated version of an older document called Old Text. Th project contains two translation memories:

- New TM, set as primary
- Old TM, created when the Old Text was first translated, and used as reference in this project

Let's also say that most of the New Text can be pre-translated by using the Old TM.

Now, these "re-used" translations from the Old TM will NOT be automatically saved in the primary New TM. (Right?) The primary New TM will only contain translations done specifically for the New Text. (Or have I got this wrong?)

Ideally, I'd like to have one TM for each new text version without having to export/import complete TM's, since this would cause each new TM to increase in size because of included obsolete translations. What would be the best way of doing this?

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My two cents Jan 25, 2011

Profdoc wrote:
Now, these "re-used" translations from the Old TM will NOT be automatically saved in the primary New TM. (Right?) The primary New TM will only contain translations done specifically for the New Text. (Or have I got this wrong?)

Yes, you are wrong. Any segment you process in the New Text will be saved in the current main TM, i.e. if you take segments from the old TM to use them in the New Text, these will be both in the old TM AND in the new TM. Any segment you confirm while you use a main TM will go into the main TM. The old TM is read-only.

Profdoc wrote:
Ideally, I'd like to have one TM for each new text version without having to export/import complete TM's, since this would cause each new TM to increase in size because of included obsolete translations. What would be the best way of doing this?

Can you explain why you would need one TM for each time you translate this document? Doesn't that go against the idea of reusability, by using a single TM for all the times you translate the document?

rmackay
Local time: 19:32
my two cents as well :) Jan 25, 2011

"Ideally, I'd like to have one TM for each new text version without having to export/import complete TM's, since this would cause each new TM to increase in size because of included obsolete translations. What would be the best way of doing this?"

The point maybe being missed here is that you are not importing the entire contents of the old TM, just those segments that are needed (appear as a match) for the new project. The new TM should increase depending on the size of the file being translated, which is how the program works, but it won't import obselete segments that are not used in the project.

This may be a resource management issue, in terms of how you should be maintaining the resources etc - i agree with Tòmas and his question about the need for a new TM each time. The principle that we use is that a translator stars with an empty TM when working on a document and a master TM (that he/she cannot add to - only take from), once translated, the segments are initially added to the empty TM, then the file is then proof read/checked by a senior translator, then the segments are added to the master TM, and that translator can then use the master TM again, whereby the process starts again. Knowing all the segments are safe in the master TM, the translator can then empty the new TM and start again.

If that makes sense, you can see that the master TM is then being constantly expanded upon and that master TM becomes the 'bible' for all translators - now this master TM may become too large so it may mean that more specific master TM's are required, depending on subject area etc. This is again a matter of resource management.

hope this helps Ruairidh

Profdoc
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, great! Jan 25, 2011

I'm glad I was wrong, I was just getting uncertain. As long as everything is saved in the primary TM, everything's fine!

We're using memoQ as apart of a version control system for a continuously updated document (a software manual). It's a pretty big document edited by several persons and when it's time to translate, the TM's help us identify new or edited text sections, something like this:

- Translating version 1.0 -> primary TM 1.0
- Translating version 1.1 with TM 1.0 as read-only -> primary TM 1.1
- Translating version 1.2 with TM 1.1 as read-only -> primary TM 1.2
- And so on

I was probably a bit unclear in my original posting, but, thankfully, since I was wrong about the function of a primary TM, my problem has evaporated. So thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transferring contents from old to new TM

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search