Importing Trados memory file (tmw)
Thread poster: ilehmann

ilehmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:05
English to German
Feb 10, 2011

Hi everybody

I want to import an existing (large) .tmw memory file into the latest version of MemoQ (4.5.29). I will then also have to regularly export my updated memory file (as .txt) to send it to the other translator working on the same project. I have checked the help file of MemoQ and it says that .tmw files cannot be imported.
Is there really no way doing this?

Thanks in advance, Ilona

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Simple Feb 10, 2011

You can easily get rid of the problem by switching to an export format supported by both Trados and memoQ, namely TMX.

Export your Trados memory from Trados with the TMX format (TMX 1.4b), which can be imported from memoQ. When you need to send an updated memory to the other person, export as TMX as well. If this person has Trados, he/she should be able to import it correctly.

I hope this is useful!

[Edited at 2011-02-10 10:41 GMT]

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
...when you have Trados Feb 10, 2011

Dear Tomas

The process that you describe sounds simple indeed. But what happens when you don't have Trados to convert the .tmw file into tmx format? Is there another program that is capable of doing this?
I would really like to say good-bye to Trados!
Ilona

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would love that! Feb 10, 2011

Ilona Brophy-Lehmann wrote:
The process that you describe sounds simple indeed. But what happens when you don't have Trados to convert the .tmw file into tmx format? Is there another program that is capable of doing this?
I would really like to say good-bye to Trados!
Ilona

That is a shared feeling. Unfortunately so far I haven't found a way of converting TMW to TMX without Trados.

How often do you need to do this?

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Regularly Feb 10, 2011

I am regularly sent memory files in tmw format but as I tent do work on large projects, "regularly" is probably only every 2-3 months.
Ilona

Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Ask Feb 11, 2011

If someone sends you the large TM it normally means they have Trados. Can't you ask them to send you a TMX file?

AFAIK there's no other way - if you don't export it via Trados, you can't import it (not only into memoQ but into anything else). TMX is the Translation Memory eXchange format, so it's designed to be used with all CAT tools.

Thanks,
Michal

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 19:05
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TMW is an old format Feb 11, 2011

Even SDL Trados Studio 2009 can not import TMW files, SDL Trados 2007 is required for this task.

Unfortunately TMX files are not fully compatible. All segments are not imported when a TMX file exported from CAT A is imported to CAT B. This happens even between SDL Trados 2007 and SDL Trados Studio 2009.

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Summary Feb 11, 2011

Thanks for all your replies, you really made clear to me what's going on:

Here a brief summary: The client could export the memory in TMX format which could then be read by MemoQ and other CAT tools. However, there is a loss and not all segments are imported.

So, from your answers I surmise that I will have to stick with Trados 2007, because not even Trados 2009 is compatible. Sounds really great! Not....

Thanks for your help, Ilona

István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Try the bilingual files Feb 12, 2011

I would really discourage everybody from considering the TMX standard for regular workflows. It is a flawed old format, and it's beyond the control of any translation tool vendor. The amount of losses is not very high, usually below 1%, but still, if you get a document and a TM in one tool and the same document and the TM in TMX in another tool, you cannot expect the same leverage. This is because of three issues:

1. the document import filter is different,
2. the TM matching engine is different (although 100% is 100% everywhere),
3. the TMX format does not carry formatting information.

Ilona, I'd recommend that you use the following workflow:

- ask the customer to send you a prepared file in TTX format, i.e. the document pre-translated with the TM, with unknown sentences segmented,
- ask the customer to send you a TMX for reference (this will be for reference -- for a translator a 1% loss does not really matter, and this is the real loss normally),
- import the TTX into memoQ, translate it, export it and send it back,
- ask the customer to clean up your TTX.

This will work seamlessly.

Best regards,
István

Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
migration loss, technology gain Feb 12, 2011

Hello Ilona,

I can't agree with your summary. Yes, migrating a translation memory from one tool to the other always results in a few percents of loss. Not so much completely skipped segments, but some of the tags and formatting will probably be different or "lost". memoQ has a TMX import option to minimize this loss when migrating from Trados. Yes, this loss can even force you to do some extra work, which is annoying. This can't be avoided completely, because there are fundamental differences in how these tools work, and TMX isn't able to bridge the gap.

But do not forget that Trados 2007 is not being developed anymore, and in fact is a design that is maybe 20 years old. No wonder Trados completely ditched it and started from scratch with Studio. The benefits of using much more refined, actively developed present day technology like memoQ will outweigh that loss. It isn't wise to bank on Trados 2007 today, those dinosaur clients that still use it will all wake up and switch to something else sooner or later.

Also, it is still possible to grab trial/demo installers of Trados 2007, and as far as I know, those will let you export a TM into TMX format. What Trados won't let you do is use them for translation without a license.

Here is a link to an installer:
http://downloadcentre.sdl.com/T2007/SP2/SDLTrados2007_FL_SP2_835.exe

Best regards,
Gergely

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Ah but.... Feb 13, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Even SDL Trados Studio 2009 can not import TMW files, SDL Trados 2007 is required for this task.

I hope nobody minds me adding to this conversation

SDL Trados 2007 (current version) is included with SDL Trados Studio 2009, and you can expect to see the need for 2007 at all to disappear pretty soon as we won't need it to work with these older formats.

It's also worth noting that whilst the current version of Studio uses the 2007 tools under the hood to import a TMW you don't actually need to start the 2007 application up.

Otherwise I'd agree with both István and Gergely... apart from the use memoQ to translate the TTX part

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing Trados memory file (tmw)

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search