Changing metadata in a batch of segments in a TM?
Thread poster: Steven Capsuto

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 12, 2011

It's great that MemoQ now supports custom metadata fields, but I can't figure out how to use them once they're created.

When starting a project, there doesn't seem to be any way to set the values for existing custom fields, so I want to set the values after the job is finished.

I've figured out how to edit a TM and filter it so that only the segments from a specific job are showing, but I can't figure out how to make a batch change to the segments' metadata. (I recently switched from Trados, where this was easy to to.)

Is there a way to set values in custom fields once they've been created, other than editing the segments manually, one at a time?

[Edited at 2011-03-12 13:30 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:13
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
There is a way Mar 12, 2011

Watch the newly-recorded advanced memoQ webinar (available at: http://kilgray.com/news/advanced-memoq-webinar) and you'll get your answer. It's better to sort it out early on, because once you're in the TM editing environment, you cannot select multiple segments and change the field values for all of them at once.

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 12, 2011

Thank you! I've started watching the video and it looks very useful.

I suppose if I need to set the values ex post facto, I can always export the TM and make changes in a text editor. But I'd rather set the field values up front.

rmackay
Local time: 12:13
export to .tmx file Mar 14, 2011

I had to alter the metadata in a few TM's that had been created and found the easiest way was to export it to a .tmx file and then simply run find/replace - this changed the required fields and just in case there may have been some source text with the same text as the fields, I also included the coding around the metadata fields.

However this was very straightforward and ideal if all segments needed the metadata altered

HTH - slàinte

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:13
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Not my idea of "straightforward" Mar 19, 2011

Anything that requires exporting a file out of a tool, processing it in another tool and then re-importing into the first tool is not straightforward. The 'heart' of a CAT tool, as they say, is the Translation Memory, so the CAT tool should provide for all TM handling a user wishes to perform. When one buys a "CAT system" one expects it to be a real system, not part of a system, which requires third-party components to do certain tasks.

[Edited at 2011-03-19 15:00 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing metadata in a batch of segments in a TM?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search