Tag text in MemoQ
Thread poster: Paula Hernández

Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 18, 2011

I am translating a file for which I need to be able to see the tag text, as you can see it in Trados. The tags in Trados show some information that I need to find what term to use in the glossary or to know whether the term needs to be left in English, be localized, or be left in English with the translation in brackets.
Is there any way to see this text in MemoQ or should I do it with Trados?

Just to be clear, in this case, the tags are not formatting tags, but include information necessary for the translation.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:24
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I'm afraid not Mar 18, 2011

Some days ago I have done some comparison between tag treating n Studio, MemoQ and Transit. I do not know much about other programs, but it seems to me, that Trados sotware is the unique on the market to show you tag text in full.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What is the source file format? Mar 18, 2011

The source file format might be relevant.

Have you tried enabling the preview in memoQ?

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:24
English to Spanish
Not unique Mar 18, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

I do not know much about other programs, but it seems to me, that Trados sotware is the unique on the market to show you tag text in full.

Swordfish also shows the tag text in full if ypu press Ctrl + K or select 'Show/Hide Tags" in "View" menu.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Mar 18, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

The source file format might be relevant.

Have you tried enabling the preview in memoQ?

It's a Trados .ttx and yeah, I tried the preview but it did not work. For the moment I have the file open both in MemoQ and TagEditor and when I need to check a tag I go back to TagEditor, a bit annoying, ...icon_smile.gif

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Then your best option is TagEditor... Mar 18, 2011

I have the same problem as you in a very low number of TTX files I translate, and unfortunately I have found no other way but to check in TagEditor while I translate in MemoQ... Luckily this requirement does not come around very often...

Mykhailo Voloshko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 04:24
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
toolbar Mar 18, 2011

Did you try this?

Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mykhailo you are my saviour! Mar 18, 2011

Mykhailo Voloshko wrote:

Did you try this?

I think that is exactly what I need! Now I need to find the way to see the whole tag, cause sometimes they are very long and disapear beyond the limits of the cell....

Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And... Mar 18, 2011

Instead of long I went for filtered and it works!!

Thank you so much!!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
But.... Mar 19, 2011

Sorry but you should have mentioned that they are in-line tags (the red ones), not structural tags (the grey ones you can see in TagEditor).

I think both Jerzy and I had understood that you wanted to see the structural tags!

Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm sorry Mar 19, 2011

Tomás, I am sorry I did not explain myself correctly. I did not know they were called inline tags, I also didn't know there could be information important for my translation in the grey one as I have never been told by any of my clients to look at those tags.
I guess I was lucky Mykhailo was there and he understood what I was asking.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag text in MemoQ

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search