Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 20:24
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Mar 31, 2011

Dear All,

I've been considering migrating to MemoQ for quite some time. I've done my homework, read everything I found on the topic. There're still some things that are unclear to me.

How do I migrate my "big mama" TM and terminology database from DVX to MemoQ? Do I have to export it to another format (ttx/tmx) first?

As far as I can see from what I read, there are functionalities in MemoQ that correspond to AutoAssemble and AutoPropagate. Is this correct?

Any issues you may have encountered while switching from DVX to MemoQ?

thank you,
Csaba

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 21:24
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
some points Mar 31, 2011

I am sure proficient MemoQ users will write in detail but just a few points from a proficient DVX usericon_smile.gif

1. TMX for TMs with some additional work using a text editor, e.g. Notepad++
When you export your TM in TMX format, subject and client details are exported as well but in numbers. Use notepad++ to replace 0 with Generalities, 6 with Technology, etc.

Terminology Databases may need some extra work depending on the structure of your TD. If you have additional fields you may not be able to import them all into MemoQ, some loss of data may occur.

If you use the context field in DVX, Excel route may result in data loss due to limitation of characters in Excel, so I prefer Access when exporting TDs.

2. AFAIK, DVX's autoassemble function is better than that of MemoQ. But I am not a proficient user of MemoQ, Grzegorz can answer it in detail.

I remember a discussion on this subject http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/memoQ/message/16055

3. Not yet because I still use DVX.

[Edited at 2011-04-01 01:26 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:24
French to Polish
+ ...
A quick info... Apr 3, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I am sure proficient MemoQ users will write in detail but just a few points from a proficient DVX usericon_smile.gif

(...)

Terminology Databases may need some extra work depending on the structure of your TD. If you have additional fields you may not be able to import them all into MemoQ, some loss of data may occur.

The main problem is DVX terminology recognition is based on a "black box" fuzzy matching while MQ uses regular expressions which are transparent but need more manual tuning.
I.e. Csaba has a lot of chance his main languages (English, Hungarian) will work almost "out of the box" but some preprocessing is needed to make it work smoothly for most inflected languages (it will be necessary for French, Polish etc.).
I'll publish a procedure in few days (another crazy deadline...).

2. AFAIK, DVX's autoassemble function is better than that of MemoQ. But I am not a proficient user of MemoQ, Grzegorz can answer it in detail.

Huh, thanks, but I never had enough time to dig in in depth icon_smile.gif
Two major points are:
- If you have two homonymous terms marked, let's say, "point" as General and "point" as Naval forces, DVX will use the "compass point" translation (e.g. "rumb" in Polish instead of "punkt") if my project is market as Naval forces.
- If you have a sentence "I have a cat" in your TM and "dog" and "cat" in your TB, DVX will use EBMT and recompose a translation for "I have a dog". Of course, it doesn't work perfectly for all the languages you can imagine but in some cases it's a killah.
MQ is not so sofisticated but you're on the secure side (DVX sometimes misses some portion hits from TMs and, which is worse, recomposes empty segments which may be difficult to find in large projects).

In fact, the advanced AutoAssemble as described above, Lexicon and the concurrent data access are the three crucial reasons I still prefer DVX to MQ but, frankly speaking, I think MQ is better in almost all other points.

Cheers
GG

Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:24
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Migrating with the leverage Aug 22, 2012

I hope you are fine, gentlemen.

I'm looking for an answer to the first half of the topic subject: Migrating from, in my case, DVX2 latest built (8.0.580), and, specifically, migrating with the segmentation rules, in order to preserve in full the leverage of the exported TMs. I am aware about srx, lisa, oscar, but this knowledge is of no help when it comes to exporting the TM (as a tmx file).

I open exported TM in another CAT (in my case, SDL 2007 and another less popular Russian soft, and viceversa) just to see that the fuzzy match is max. 40/50 percent on the same text. The segmentation is broken.

Is there a remedy?

Thank you, there's no deadline icon_smile.gif

P.s. Can the DVX segmentation rules be handled apart?

[Edited at 2012-08-22 18:46 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Migrating from DVX to MemoQ

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search