Thread poster: xxxArabicaso

xxxArabicaso  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:32
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 8, 2011

Hello,

When I export an active document from English->Arabic translation project the numerals/figures are always exported in Arabic style rather than Context or Hindi style as used in the Arab countries. I have to manually change every single figure/digit from within MS Word in the exported document before sending it to the clients.

I hope anyone or MemoQ support team has a fix or workaround to this behavior. I use the latest version - MemoQ 4.5.70.

Thanks

[Edited at 2011-04-08 11:10 GMT]

István Lengyel
Hungary
Local time: 00:32
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Please clarify a bit more Apr 9, 2011

Hello,

Thanks for making a remark here. I'm afraid we don't speak Arabic at Kilgray, so we were just basing the development on the feedback of one translator in Egypt. (We did more thorough testing with Hebrew but probably this is not an issue there.) Please send us an email with a thorough explanation of what Context or Hindi style is (with screenshots), and where it is used and where it isn't - we will then surely find out more details from other translators and put this into the development roadmap.

Thanks!

Best regards,
István

xxxArabicaso  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More clarification! Apr 12, 2011

Many thanks István for your response.

To make it clearer, when you work on English->Arabic translation projects in MemoQ and later export the document (Word), everything looks fine and excellent (style, format, positioning), but unfortunately the numbers/digits appear in Arabic numerals that are used in English and other European languages' documents, such as 1250, 2.2, 5,589 and so on, rather than Arabic-Indic or Eastern Arabic numerals used in the Middle East.

While you can control this behavior in other CAT tools, MemoQ has no option for exporting the numbers and digits to Arabic-Indic/Eastern Arabic/Hindi style in the exported documents targeted to the Arab audience.

Therefore, using MemoQ in translating financial statements, annual reports, accounting documents, and those with many digits & numbers into Arabic is a real pain since you have to manually rewrite/change every number and digit to Arabic-Indic or Eastern Arabic style before sending the document to the client. Other than that, MemoQ 4.5.70 is a superb and professional CAT tool that saves us a lot of time in translation and editing.

See this link for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_numerals

Regards

[Edited at 2011-04-12 14:43 GMT]

Nariman Youssef
Arabic to English
+ ...
Any updates to memoQ Oct 9, 2013

Hello,

I'm using memoQ to manage the translation (into Arabic) of editorial content for a massive bilingual website. It works brilliantly on most fronts, but the lack of an option to use Eastern Arabic numerals is a real pain. I came across this old thread as I was looking around for a solution, and thought to just drop a line to ask if anyone knows of an update.

I would really hope that Kilgray has worked on a solution by now, if they've been aware of the problem for over 2 years.

Thank you,
Nariman

khaldoun Dekmak
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:32
English to Arabic
+ ...
Possible solution Jun 20, 2014

Hi Nariman,
Please take a look at this article:
https://support.kilgray.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/306/12/single-byte---double-byte-number-conversion
I think you will find it useful to some extent.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Arabic Numerals in Exported Documents

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search