Change segment status
Thread poster: Piotr Zięba

Piotr Zięba  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:52
English to Polish
Apr 11, 2011

Hi,

Is it possible to change the segment status in memoQ?
E.g. change status from "confirmed" to "unconfirmed" or "edited"?

Best regars,
Piotr

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just edit it Apr 12, 2011

If you mean one particular segment, simply edit it (add a space and delete the space). This immediately changes the status to Edited.

If you mean many segments, I think it cannot be done. Over here in our team what we do to keep a segment in an unfinished status is add a mark (a group characters we have been using for ever) so that we can quickly filter segments by that mark and revisit them when some information is unknown at the time of translation.

Can you tell us why do you need to change the status?

Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Change segment status to pretranslate with other TM Apr 12, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Can you tell us why do you need to change the status?

Thanks for your answer.
I want to change the status of multiple segments.
Yesterday I've been checking how pretranslation works in memoQ and found out that this function doesn't change anything in segments with confirmed status (am I right...?)
I have two separate TMs (one from the client and second my personal local TM)
I want to pretranslate a document with the client's TM and I need every segment to have unconfirmed status after pretranslating. Then I want to pretranslate with my local TM (using "overwrite with newer" option).

Can you give me a tip how can I do that?

Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
find and replace Apr 12, 2011

You can always pre-translate, then filter "pre-translated" and use find&replace - find a space and replace it with a space. That way all the segments will be edited, but none will be changed.
After that simply pre-translate using the other memory with the overwrite with newer option. Is this what you were looking for?

Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Change segment status to pretranslate with other TM Apr 12, 2011

Michal Glowacki wrote:

You can always pre-translate, then filter "pre-translated" and use find&replace - find a space and replace it with a space. That way all the segments will be edited, but none will be changed.
After that simply pre-translate using the other memory with the overwrite with newer option. Is this what you were looking for?

Hi Michal,

This is exactly what I did yesterday, but changing space to space does not mean you will touch each segment in the project. If you have segments with one word in target, these won't be affected by search&replace.

Judging from your answer I guess that memoQ doesn't offer an option to manually change the status segment...icon_frown.gif
Another useful feature would be to have an option to specify which status should get segments which are pretranslated with the TM (just like you can specify what status get segments which are auto-propagated).

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Better with two memories, with yours as priority? Apr 12, 2011

Piotr Zięba wrote:
Yesterday I've been checking how pretranslation works in memoQ and found out that this function doesn't change anything in segments with confirmed status (am I right...?)
I have two separate TMs (one from the client and second my personal local TM)
I want to pretranslate a document with the client's TM and I need every segment to have unconfirmed status after pretranslating. Then I want to pretranslate with my local TM (using "overwrite with newer" option).

Basically what you want is to translate using both memories, but using your memory as the one with priority?

Wouldn't it work for you if you activated both memories in the project, then selected your memory as he main one, and then pretranslate only once? Wouldn't that produce a file containing the customer's translations, except where you have your own translation, in which case your memory would be used?

[Edited at 2011-04-12 07:33 GMT]

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Pretranslated status Apr 12, 2011

Piotr Zięba wrote:

After pretranslation the segments should have the status "pretranslated", not "confirmed". I thought you could pretranslate over this with "Overwrite with newer"? (Cannot check it right now.)

I agree though that the usage of the option is not clear at all - what is "newer"? Does it take the time of the TM entry into consideration? Also, there is no mention in the help file what segments will be overwritten and which will not (depending on the status)...

In case of your translation I would do exactly the opposite - translate with your TM, confirm or lock the pretranslated segments (just to be sure) and then use the "old" TM which should not touch your segments.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never needed it Apr 12, 2011

Piotr Zięba wrote:
Judging from your answer I guess that memoQ doesn't offer an option to manually change the status segment...icon_frown.gif
Another useful feature would be to have an option to specify which status should get segments which are pretranslated with the TM (just like you can specify what status get segments which are auto-propagated).

After working with memoQ all day and every day since September 2009, in my team of 4 people we never missed that feature. It would make things more complicated.

The colleagues have already suggested several ways of accomplishing what you have described, so it is a matter of changing the mindset instead of trying to make memoQ incorporate features of other products which are cumbersome to use and of little use.icon_smile.gif

Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
My mistake Apr 12, 2011

Well... I've checked it once again and you are right.
After pretranslation the segment status is "not confirmed", match rate is "101%" and the colour is blue (pretranslated). Then I can of course translate with other TM.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change segment status

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search