Thread poster: Jerzy Czopik

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:13
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Apr 15, 2011

Either I am dumb enough not to find the corresponding shortcut, or there is no shortcut for:
- changing between target and source text when translating without having to use mouse
- inserting a term from terminology database in the translated text

Another question: what would be the setting to get MemoQ jumping to the last EDITED segment, not to the segment next to it?

Thanks and sorry, if that is obvious - I am doing my first steps in MemoQ
Regards
Jerzy

Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Shortcuts Apr 15, 2011

Hi Jerzy,

You're not dumb [deleted by accident] it's just that each software is so different that sometimes it takes time to get used to finding things.

- changing between target and source text when translating without having to use mouse

Plain old TAB does the trick.

- inserting a term from terminology database in the translated text

There are several ways: if your term is visible on the side bar you press ctrl+number that is next to it (it works for everything: terms, hits, LSCs). So if your term is number 5 you press "ctrl+5". Alternatively, you can press ctrl+down/up arrow to move around the hits pane and press "ctrl+space" to enter the current thing.

If you're using the term adding bit, there should be an "insert" button there..

As for:

Another question: what would be the setting to get MemoQ jumping to the last EDITED segment, not to the segment next to it?

I'm not sure what you mean here: do you mean last in order or that was edited as last (by time/date)? If it's the first instance:
- press ctrl+shift+g
- change the direction from "down" to "up"
- chose "edited" in the "status" pane
- press ctrl+end
- press ctrl+g

I think that should work but I cannot check it now. Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Michal

[Edited at 2011-04-15 10:53 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That helps very much Apr 15, 2011

And when I know how this functions all are called, I get my own shortcuts for them, so then Studio and MemoQ will be nearly the same.

Now I am getting there, where a perfect CAT would be - somewhere in between Studio and MemoQicon_smile.gif

Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Great! Apr 15, 2011

Now I am getting there, where a perfect CAT would be - somewhere in between Studio and MemoQ

Well that is the key in fact - finding the golden medium that makes you happy. And productive. Happy and productive, yes.icon_wink.gif

Glad I could help.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Marriage Apr 15, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Now I am getting there, where a perfect CAT would be - somewhere in between Studio and MemoQicon_smile.gif

Well, if a marriage between memoQ and Studio was in question (thank God it is not), a valid questions from us users of memoQ would be.... how many camels do we get along with the ugly wife?icon_wink.gif

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why always that direction? Apr 15, 2011

how many camels do we get along with the ugly wife

I am working with MemoQ as would I work with Studio.
The comparison takes me all illusions - MemoQ is in no way better than Studio (which applies exactly the other way round).
There are features in MemoQ I would welcome in Studio and features from Studio I would welcome in MemoQ.
Also the product stability is not better (or worser).
It is just a different tool and that's it. If you prefer that one, perfect. I do still prefer the other one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shortcuts missing?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search