Thread poster: Jerzy Czopik

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:36
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Apr 15, 2011

Either I am dumb enough not to find the corresponding shortcut, or there is no shortcut for:
- changing between target and source text when translating without having to use mouse
- inserting a term from terminology database in the translated text

Another question: what would be the setting to get MemoQ jumping to the last EDITED segment, not to the segment next to it?

Thanks and sorry, if that is obvious - I am doing my first steps in MemoQ
Regards
Jerzy

Direct link Reply with quote

Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Shortcuts Apr 15, 2011

Hi Jerzy,

You're not dumb [deleted by accident] it's just that each software is so different that sometimes it takes time to get used to finding things.

- changing between target and source text when translating without having to use mouse

Plain old TAB does the trick.

- inserting a term from terminology database in the translated text

There are several ways: if your term is visible on the side bar you press ctrl+number that is next to it (it works for everything: terms, hits, LSCs). So if your term is number 5 you press "ctrl+5". Alternatively, you can press ctrl+down/up arrow to move around the hits pane and press "ctrl+space" to enter the current thing.

If you're using the term adding bit, there should be an "insert" button there..

As for:

Another question: what would be the setting to get MemoQ jumping to the last EDITED segment, not to the segment next to it?

I'm not sure what you mean here: do you mean last in order or that was edited as last (by time/date)? If it's the first instance:
- press ctrl+shift+g
- change the direction from "down" to "up"
- chose "edited" in the "status" pane
- press ctrl+end
- press ctrl+g

I think that should work but I cannot check it now. Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Michal

[Edited at 2011-04-15 10:53 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That helps very much Apr 15, 2011

And when I know how this functions all are called, I get my own shortcuts for them, so then Studio and MemoQ will be nearly the same.

Now I am getting there, where a perfect CAT would be - somewhere in between Studio and MemoQ

Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Great! Apr 15, 2011

Now I am getting there, where a perfect CAT would be - somewhere in between Studio and MemoQ

Well that is the key in fact - finding the golden medium that makes you happy. And productive. Happy and productive, yes.

Glad I could help.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Marriage Apr 15, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Well, if a marriage between memoQ and Studio was in question (thank God it is not), a valid questions from us users of memoQ would be.... how many camels do we get along with the ugly wife?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why always that direction? Apr 15, 2011

how many camels do we get along with the ugly wife

I am working with MemoQ as would I work with Studio.
The comparison takes me all illusions - MemoQ is in no way better than Studio (which applies exactly the other way round).
There are features in MemoQ I would welcome in Studio and features from Studio I would welcome in MemoQ.
Also the product stability is not better (or worser).
It is just a different tool and that's it. If you prefer that one, perfect. I do still prefer the other one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shortcuts missing?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search