How can I check if MemoQ is handling an Excel file correctly?
Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:17
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jul 4, 2011

Doesn't matter if it's SDL or MemoQ, I am always wary of sticking the original file into the CAT tool, not knowing if it is going to convert it back correctly. I would like to be able to check after a few translated segments if the process works ok.
I am working on a large Excel file now (xlsx) and I stored my unfinished job as an Excel file in a test folder. The result is all over the place, completely jumbled. Does that mean I won't have my translation in the same sequence when it's don
... See more
Doesn't matter if it's SDL or MemoQ, I am always wary of sticking the original file into the CAT tool, not knowing if it is going to convert it back correctly. I would like to be able to check after a few translated segments if the process works ok.
I am working on a large Excel file now (xlsx) and I stored my unfinished job as an Excel file in a test folder. The result is all over the place, completely jumbled. Does that mean I won't have my translation in the same sequence when it's done? This may be normal, but does anyone know for sure?
Much appreciated.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:17
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have you tried... Jul 5, 2011

The situation you describe is not normal.

First of all, what exact version of memoQ are you using? Support for XLSX files was added only in the very last release, which I think was 4.5.74. If you have an earlier version, you definitely want to update your memoQ setup to that, and then try again.

If the situation persists, I would try to do a Copy source to target for all the untranslated segments before using an Export (dialog) to obtain your XLSX file.

Giv
... See more
The situation you describe is not normal.

First of all, what exact version of memoQ are you using? Support for XLSX files was added only in the very last release, which I think was 4.5.74. If you have an earlier version, you definitely want to update your memoQ setup to that, and then try again.

If the situation persists, I would try to do a Copy source to target for all the untranslated segments before using an Export (dialog) to obtain your XLSX file.

Give these two things a try and let us know how it goes!
Collapse

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tempest in a pot of tea.. Jul 7, 2011

..but then, you never know. I had to make sure it works before investing days of work into this file, but with all segments filled the file is exported correctly. Very reassuring.

Thanks for the assistance, Tomás.

PS: I don't suppose there is a way to reverse the "Copy Source to Target"? I get no fuzzy matches anymore.

[Edited at 2011-07-07 06:04 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My fault Jul 7, 2011

I should have told you NOT to confirm the segments in which you used Copy source to target. Now your memory contains "translations" of the segments and you don't have the benefit of the matches.

Now, there is a simple solution. You can use the Resource Manager > Translation memories to edit the memory (this will show the memory as a list), look for the segments you created artificially with the Copy source, and delete them. Once all deletions are made, you click Commit so that they
... See more
I should have told you NOT to confirm the segments in which you used Copy source to target. Now your memory contains "translations" of the segments and you don't have the benefit of the matches.

Now, there is a simple solution. You can use the Resource Manager > Translation memories to edit the memory (this will show the memory as a list), look for the segments you created artificially with the Copy source, and delete them. Once all deletions are made, you click Commit so that they are effective. You can also use the Filter dialog and filter by a date, so that you can easily pinpoint the artificial segments and delete them without messing with the rest of the memory.

I hope this helps!
Collapse

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Emptying segments with source text in them Jul 7, 2011

It's not that I confirmed them, but when the segment is empty, it'll be automatically filled with either a fuzzy match or a GT translation, which in this project turned out to be very helpful. I was wondering if I can empty all segments that aren't confirmed yet.

Oh, and I while I have you: if I enter a certain Translation result with Ctrl + X (X being the number of the result I want to select) into the target segment, sometimes this will result in the target segment being overwritt
... See more
It's not that I confirmed them, but when the segment is empty, it'll be automatically filled with either a fuzzy match or a GT translation, which in this project turned out to be very helpful. I was wondering if I can empty all segments that aren't confirmed yet.

Oh, and I while I have you: if I enter a certain Translation result with Ctrl + X (X being the number of the result I want to select) into the target segment, sometimes this will result in the target segment being overwritten and sometimes it will be added at the end, seemingly at random. I want it to be overwritten - is there a trick to it?

See below where Ctrl 2 added one of the suggestions to the end of the available line:

Photobucket

[Edited at 2011-07-07 22:28 GMT]
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Easy Jul 8, 2011

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

This is easy: in the menu, Operations > Clear translations.... In the dialog box, choose the "Unconfirmed segments" radio button. You can see other options about the scope of this operation. You can apply it to the whole project, only selected or opened documents, or just the current document. I use this function all the time!

Marinus Vesseur wrote:
Oh, and I while I have you: if I enter a certain Translation result with Ctrl + X (X being the number of the result I want to select) into the target segment, sometimes this will result in the target segment being overwritten and sometimes it will be added at the end, seemingly at random. I want it to be overwritten - is there a trick to it?

I think that it is always added there the cursor is in your segment and that you cannot change this behaviour. However, if you have selected the contents of the cell, it gets overwritten. I think it is best that you empty unconfirmed segments and take it from there.

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 8, 2011

Muchas gracias! It worked like a charm. Unconfirmed segments are empty again and fuzzies are inserted automatically. With thousands of short terms still to go that really is a help.

Have a nice weekend!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I check if MemoQ is handling an Excel file correctly?

Advanced search

BaccS – an SDL product
Modern translation business management for freelancers and agencies

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search