Any way in MemoQ to export alignment pairs as two column RTF?
Thread poster: gzevspero
gzevspero
Local time: 15:36
Hebrew to English
+ ...
Jul 12, 2011

Hi all,

I have a client who would like to create a TMX of previously translated files, to be used by any and all translators who will work on their documents in the future.

So they're asking if I can import and align several document pairs (which I did not translate), and then export the properly aligned pairs into a format that is editable by non-translators, so they can go over it and give their final approval.

After approval has been given, I will import their final version back into MemoQ, and export it again as the final TMX to be used by me and/or other translators in the future.

I know that MemoQ allows me to export alignment pairs in TMX and XLIFF format, however these are not editable by non-translators who don't use a CAT tool. It can also export projects that were actually translated in MemoQ into a nice two column RTF, which is perfect for this purpose. However, I don't see an option to export alignment pairs into RTF or CSV, or any similar format which doesn't require a CAT tool to edit.

So my question is, how can this best be done? Is my only option to export the alignment pairs as TMX, convert them into RTF or CSV using some third party program, send that to the client, get their final version, convert it back to TMX, and then import that back into MemoQ? Or is there a way to do this neatly, without a third party program?

And if a third party program is indeed the only way to get this to work, can anyone recommend such a program?

Many thanks,
Gadi

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:36
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oops Jul 12, 2011

(Sorry guys. I think I read the posting a bit too fast. My reply was for a different situation.)

[Edited at 2011-07-12 15:39 GMT]

gzevspero
Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I only see this option for projects actually translated in MemoQ Jul 12, 2011

Hi Tomás, thanks for your response.

This would work for projects that were actually translated in MemoQ, but here I will be working with a document that has already been translated, whose source and target versions I would like to import to MemoQ as an alignment pair - and then export that as a two-column RTF. From what I can see, that option is available for projects only, and not for alignment pairs...

Gadi

Gyula Erdész
Hungary
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
memoQ + Maxprogram's Stingray - A possible way Jul 12, 2011

Dear gzevspero,

I could suggest the following method:

1, Align the files in memoQ.
2, Export the aligned segments in .tmx format.
3, Using Maxprogram's Stingray ( http://www.maxprograms.com/products/stingray.html ), convert the tmx into csv. Stingray is basically an aligner, so if you are not too biased towards memoQ, you can give it a try during the alignment process, too.
4, Create a two column .xls from the .csv.
5, If the proofreading at your client's side is ready, you receive a proofread xls.
6, Align the two columns of the revised .xls in memoQ and the tmx is ready to use.

Regards,

Gyula

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Maybe... Jul 12, 2011

How about:

Corpus > export to xlf > import xlf to project > export as rtf?

I cannot test it right now...

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Options Jul 12, 2011

There are ways and means of converting a TMX to xls (as it happens, I'm responsible for one of them, but it's not necessarily ready for production use so I won't plug it here).
LF Aligner generates xls files out of the aligned documents by default, so you could just use LF Aligner instead of MemoQ for the alignment and avoid one step in the workflow.

gzevspero
Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Attempts Jul 12, 2011

@Jabberwock -

Sounds good - I did some more research and found that this solution was also proposed by a MemoQ employee in this similar proz thread. I was able to export the xliff from the corpus and then add it to a memoq project. When I try to export bilingual however, it won't let me export to two column RTF, only to MemoQ bilingual. The option for two column RTF is actually not greyed out, but when I click on it, the radio button refuses to move over to it - really odd. So it only lets me export to memoq bilingual (.mbd), which doesn't help.
So close though!

@Gyula - this also sounds like a good solution, I've tried downloading stingray from maxprogram several times today, but every time the download just crawls and crawls, and eventually just comes to a complete stop... I'll try again tomorrow, or see if it can be downloaded from another site.

So for now, the search continues! Thanks for your suggestions.

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Bug Jul 12, 2011

gzevspero wrote:
When I try to export bilingual however, it won't let me export to two column RTF, only to MemoQ bilingual. The option for two column RTF is actually not greyed out, but when I click on it, the radio button refuses to move over to it - really odd.

This sounds like a bug... I am sure if you mail support with it, they will issue a fix pretty soon - the problem is that it might end up in 5.0 rather than 4.5...

By the way, you can export xlf to tabbed text with Xbench...

gzevspero
Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works in 5.0.17 Jul 14, 2011

Jabberwock wrote:

gzevspero wrote:
When I try to export bilingual however, it won't let me export to two column RTF, only to MemoQ bilingual. The option for two column RTF is actually not greyed out, but when I click on it, the radio button refuses to move over to it - really odd.

This sounds like a bug... I am sure if you mail support with it, they will issue a fix pretty soon - the problem is that it might end up in 5.0 rather than 4.5...

By the way, you can export xlf to tabbed text with Xbench...

Indeed! I downloaded the latest RC 5.0.17, and it works. Also downloaded a different release of 4.5 - that still did not work. So, it turned out just as you expected.

The thing is that this version is still RC, and I'm kind of hesitant to use it for this project, which involves many files... we'll see where it goes from here. I emailed MemoQ to get their take on it.

Re: the other programs, Stingray is still stalling on the download, I also downloaded LFAliger and Xbench but these seemed quite foreign and I haven't had the time yet to figure out how to use them for this purpose.

Good to know there is at least one workable solution for now... I'll update if and when any further progress is achieved.

Thanks again for all the help

Gadi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any way in MemoQ to export alignment pairs as two column RTF?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search