Thread poster: Johan Venter

Johan Venter  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:58
Member (2004)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Aug 3, 2011

I received a .doc file that my client converted from an editable pdf file. When I imported this file into MemoQ I found that there are no spaces between words, but rather tags and it is unrealistic to translate a 6k document with a tag between each word, instead of a space (even with the f8 shortcut). I converted the file with my own tools from .pdf to doc, but with the same result. When I open the document in Word it seems perfectly normal, also when I display non-printing characters. Does anybody know what I can do to fix this problem?

I'm not sure if this is important or not, but most of the document contains tables (the same problem is found in the paragraph sections and table sections of the document).

I also imported the pdf file to translate that directly, but MemoQ completely ignores the tables and the target document is exported as txt, which the client does not want.

TIA

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not memoQ's problem really Aug 3, 2011

The tags are there because they are not regular spaces. They might have special width indications as a result from the conversion from the PDF file. This happens frequently. MemoQ is only trying to preserve that space width information for later, when you export the target document.

The easiest way to fix this is to open the document in Word and replace all spaces with a space (use Find/Replace). This should replace all special spaces with a normal space, and they should show up as spaces in memoQ.

I hope this helps!

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:58
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Reset formatting Aug 3, 2011

Try resetting the text formatting before import (in Word, press Ctrl+Space).

Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
CodeZapper Aug 3, 2011

You can also use CodeZapper, which is also recommended by Kilgray when PDFs are involved.

Here's the link:
http://asap-traduction.com/CodeZapper

Johan Venter  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2004)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl + space worked! Aug 3, 2011

I tried find and replace, but the result was the same, but resetting the formatting did the trick, thank you. I'll try to get a hold of codezapper for next time as it seems to be what I needed here.

Thank you all!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spaces between words replaced with tags

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search