https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/204674-memq_changing_doc_formatting.html

MemQ Changing Doc formatting
Thread poster: Roy Williams
Roy Williams
Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 00:53
German to English
Aug 4, 2011

Hi all,

I've been experimenting with MemQ lately and I noticed that when working with word files, that the formatting in the translated doc is different from the original.

For example:

The font in orignal document is arial with a font size of 9. I import the doc into MemQ and After translating and exporting the document, I find that the font has been changed to times new roman with font size of 12.

I've tried to find a setting for this and che
... See more
Hi all,

I've been experimenting with MemQ lately and I noticed that when working with word files, that the formatting in the translated doc is different from the original.

For example:

The font in orignal document is arial with a font size of 9. I import the doc into MemQ and After translating and exporting the document, I find that the font has been changed to times new roman with font size of 12.

I've tried to find a setting for this and checked the Help but have found neither an explanation nor a remedy.

Any tips?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not a normal behaviour Aug 4, 2011

MemoQ treats the formatting in my files quite nicely and nothing gets altered, so I reckon this is not a normal behaviour in your setup.

You might want to email Kilgray's support line ([email protected]) about it. They usually respond quickly.

By the way: what version of memoQ and what version of MS Office do you have?

Olaf Schutze (X)
Olaf Schutze (X)  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to German
+ ...
Similar does happen, if Aug 4, 2011

the word.doc contains pasted content of more or less bad pdf's. Could that be true in your case?
What helps then and there, is a formatting of all content to be translated with the format brush.
Any other cases I could not recall, despite several hundreds of doc's.

Alternatively, depending on your office version, you could try the same file in docx format. Are there the same issues?

[Edited at 2011-08-04 13:27 GMT]

Michal Glowacki
Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
simple formatting Aug 4, 2011

When exporting the DOC to the target please make sure you don't have the "simple formatting" box ticked, which means all formatting will be stripped. This is the default setting for docx files, but not for doc, where you can change it. Maybe this will help.

Roy Williams
Austria
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re: formatting Aug 5, 2011

@IT Bizz,

The documents in question do contain graphics that were inserted from a PDF.
Though the PDF was opened with Photoshop and the graphic saved as a JPEG before
being inserted into the doc file.

I noticed that other documents that I translated that did not contain graphics from the source mentioned above did not have their formatting changed during import.

@Michal,

I think that the format change happens during import, as in t
... See more
@IT Bizz,

The documents in question do contain graphics that were inserted from a PDF.
Though the PDF was opened with Photoshop and the graphic saved as a JPEG before
being inserted into the doc file.

I noticed that other documents that I translated that did not contain graphics from the source mentioned above did not have their formatting changed during import.

@Michal,

I think that the format change happens during import, as in the preview the document is already shown in Times New Roman. At any rate, I tried to export a document per your suggestion but could not find the simple formatting option to uncheck.

Where might that be found?
Collapse

Michal Glowacki
Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Bilingual Aug 5, 2011

I think that the format change happens during import, as in the preview the document is already shown in Times New Roman. At any rate, I tried to export a document per your suggestion but could not find the simple formatting option to uncheck.

Where might that be found?

Ah, I forgot to mention one thing - my suggestion is about exporting as bilingual doc files (trados-compatible). If you're exporting the target, everything should be preserved. If it's not - contact [email protected], they will help you (they realy will!).

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What version of MS Office? Aug 5, 2011

Sorry for insisting. I am just curious: what version of MS Office do you have in your system? Do you have several versions of MS Office installed? What OS do you have?

Roy Williams
Austria
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re: formatting Aug 17, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Sorry for insisting. I am just curious: what version of MS Office do you have in your system? Do you have several versions of MS Office installed? What OS do you have?

Sorry for the late response, but to answer your question I believe we're running office 2007 with windows 7

[Edited at 2011-08-17 07:31 GMT]

Roy Williams
Austria
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re: formatting Aug 17, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Sorry for the late response, but to answer your question I believe we're running office 2007

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemQ Changing Doc formatting

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »