Thread poster: Piotr Bienkowski

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:13
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Aug 23, 2011

Is it possible to tell MemoQ that it should underline words with mistakenly typed numbers inside, such as "imagi9ng" when someone was typing too fast. I can't find the option and the word isn't underlined as a spelling error.

Thanks and regards,

Piotr

Direct link Reply with quote

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:13
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
No, you can't Aug 23, 2011

Unfortunately, memoQ (and other CAT tools, for that matter) has only basic spell-checking capabilities. I believe that CAT tools should have particularly advanced spell-checkers to cater for the needs of the translator, but this doesn't seem to be the case—still, in 2011.

(The same holds true for the translation editing environments of CAT tools: they should be much more advanced and flexible than a decent word processor, but, unfortunately, they are not up to par even with a mediocre one.)

Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
not realistic, and probably not even desired Aug 25, 2011

Hello Epameinondas,

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

Unfortunately, memoQ (and other CAT tools, for that matter) has only basic spell-checking capabilities. I believe that CAT tools should have particularly advanced spell-checkers to cater for the needs of the translator, but this doesn't seem to be the case—still, in 2011.

Developing a new spellchecker is outside the scope of a translation tool vendor like Kilgray. We use what is already out there. As for configurability that is possible with a spellchecker engine, but is missing from memoQ, we'll try and fulfill the customer needs.

(The same holds true for the translation editing environments of CAT tools: they should be much more advanced and flexible than a decent word processor, but, unfortunately, they are not up to par even with a mediocre one.)

Hm, I totally disgree with you here. In my opinion, one of the basic features of a translation tool is to provide a simplified and consistent document editor.

I don't think a translation editor that is "much more advanced and flexible than a decent word processor" is feasible or at all desired. I doubt you or maybe anybody in the world can use MS Word to its fullest, with every bit of editing functionality it has. Word is a huge piece of software. I don't think it has any problems with "advancedness" or flexibility, but it is definitely too complex for an average user in many cases, and could be more consistent and logical, in simpler words, easier at times. It is the way it is because of the Microsoft policy of (almost?) never dropping existing features, so they are carrying an enormous baggage that only becomes bigger. They can do it because they are themselves enormous.

Gergely

Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
bug: words with munbers not underlined Aug 25, 2011

Hi Piotr,

My previous post was a reply to Epameinondas's points, the original problem you reported is a different matter. I agree that what you describe is a bug. If possible, memoQ should check words containing numbers, or provide an option.

Many thanks for pointing this out. I'll report here about the progress.

Best regards,
Gergely

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Which features are missing? Aug 25, 2011

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

"Advanced and flexible" does not tell us much... What features do you have in mind?

Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ALL UPPERCASE WORDS ARE ALSO SKIPPED Aug 25, 2011

Gergely Vandor wrote:

Hi Piotr,

My previous post was a reply to Epameinondas's points, the original problem you reported is a different matter. I agree that what you describe is a bug. If possible, memoQ should check words containing numbers, or provide an option.

Many thanks for pointing this out. I'll report here about the progress.

Best regards,
Gergely

Thanks for responding. Just noticed that all uppercase words are also skipped. I'm referring to version 4.5.77 here, did not check ver. 5.x.

Regards,

Piotr

Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
thanks Piotr Aug 25, 2011

I've added this information about uppercase to the bug report.

Gergely

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:13
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Advanced and flexible Aug 25, 2011

"Advanced and flexible" can mean things like being able to right-click and see spelling suggestions or being able to right-click and add a word to a spelling dictionary or being able to select non-contiguous segments with Ctrl+click. I mean such things that one should expect to be there but they are not.

And why aren't they there? I think because Kilgray, as most software manufacturers these days, have come to care mostly for enterprises, at the expense of professionals working alone or in small, 'horizontal' (i.e. non-hierarchical) groups. They have put most of their emphasis on their server-side technologies. This is the same mistake that Microsoft has done: they have created all those server technologies which are only useful for the employees of large businesses, and the outcome is that they deliver one failed product after the other. Apple, on the other hand, who do the opposite thing (i.e. they care for the individual) are on the rise. Is that accidental? I don't think so.

The above comment also applies to an advanced spell-checker being "out of the scope" of a CAT tool vendor. To me, it is not out of their scope. CAT stands for Computer Assisted Translation. Who does the translation? The translator, not the project manager nor the LSP. So, if translators need better spell-checkers than the ones available at present, a CAT tool vendor should develop something to fulfil this need. How come things like qTerm and the TM repository get more attention than a good, robust spell-checker? The one you offer right now cannot even do its job in two languages at the same time: if I keep a foreign name untranslated in my target text, the spell checker will consider it an error… Isn't that worse than what a mediocre text editor can do? Yes, it is!

[Edited at 2011-08-25 17:24 GMT]

Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
what is possible and what isn't Aug 28, 2011

Some of what you say are reasonable feature requests. Right-click suggestion/correction is certainly one of them, and has been asked for many times. It would be an incremental improvement to the existing spell checking functionality in memoQ. Although I don't make decisions on development direction, reasonable things that are asked frequently by many users typically do land in memoQ in the end.

But please note that in you first post, you didn't talk about missing things like this, you said you want a spell checker that is better than what is available in contemporary word processors. That would in my opinion require an entirely new spell checker to be developed, which is not something Kilgray can do. In fact, not even Microsoft attempts things like this: their products use spell checking engines developed by others. For example, for Hungarian spell checking, they use technology developed by a Hungarian company called Morphologic. For Kilgray (or SDL, etc) developing a better spell checker than the Microsoft checker is about as realistic as telling you to develop a better CAT tool yourself.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You get an error anyway Aug 28, 2011

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:
Is it possible to tell MemoQ that it should underline words with mistakenly typed numbers inside, such as "imagi9ng" when someone was typing too fast. I can't find the option and the word isn't underlined as a spelling error.

I am wondering: isn't it enough for you that memoQ shows an error mark (the electric bolt) with the standard QA settings when your translation contains more, less, or different numbers than the source? If you happened to type a number within a word inadvertedly, the QA will show this as a number mismatch between the source and the target.

Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 28, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

I am wondering: isn't it enough for you that memoQ shows an error mark (the electric bolt) with the standard QA settings when your translation contains more, less, or different numbers than the source? If you happened to type a number within a word inadvertedly, the QA will show this as a number mismatch between the source and the target.

Thanks for pointing this out Tomas. I'm still a new user of MemoQ.

Regards,

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spelling of words with numbers

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search