MemoQ 4.5.77 - sentences broken into segments
Thread poster: Johan Venter

Johan Venter  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:33
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sep 3, 2011

I imported a Word document with 8000 words and no special features other than the odd table, the same header and footer on each page and an index on page 1. As I got to about the 30% mark of the document I noticed that bulleted sentences are broken up into segments in mid-sentence, with headers and footer thrown in-between in a sequence that is not consistent with the layout of the document.

I opened the Word file and I did not see any reason why these sentences could be broken into segments as there are no returns or any other special characters that could lead MemoQ to think that the sentences should be broken up (no soft or hard returns, no tags or anything of the sort, not even end of line in most cases). Sometimes sentences are even broken into segments in mid-word. I saved the file as a docx and as an rtf file to see if this would solve the problem, but no luck.

It is really hard now to keep translating the document as I need to keep my wits about just to follow where the second part of each sentence is (mostly 2 or 3 segments between them, so I also cannot join the segments). I also fear for the translated document as I'm not sure MemoQ would export it correctly if it can't import it correctly.

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:33
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CodeZapper? Sep 3, 2011

Try CodeZapper: http://asap-traduction.com/CodeZapper

Also, try saving it as HTML, and then back to .docx (checking that the formatting is still OK of course).

Michael

Johan Venter  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 3, 2011

This was also recommended to me with an earlier problem I had with MemoQ. I'll try it, thank you.

Erik-Martin Jansen Hesshaus  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Possible solution Sep 3, 2011

When you create a new proyect MemQ asks about segmenting or not inside sentences... Try changing that.

Then, in MemQ it is very easy to edit the source text, contrary to Trados, in case you just want to fix this while translating.

Good luck.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:33
Finnish to French
No such option in 5.0 Sep 3, 2011

Erik-Martin Jansen Hesshaus wrote:
When you create a new proyect MemQ asks about segmenting or not inside sentences... Try changing that.

I'm not aware of such an option at project creation time. Perhaps what you mean is the 'Special characters' > 'Soft break' dropdown menu you get if you open a Word 2007/2010 document via the 'Add document as' function. That menu lets you choose between the following options: 1) Start new segment, 2) show as inline tag and start new segment, 3) show as inline tag.
I'm using memoQ 5.0.19, perhaps it was different in 4.5?

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:33
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
memoQ with integrated CodeZapping Sep 3, 2011

Perhaps Kilgray could license the CodeZapping technology and integrate it into memoQ. The operation would be similar to Regex Tagging: you invoke a dialog box where you select the CodeZapping configuration you prefer and you see a preview of what it will do before you execute the command. How handy would that be?

[Edited at 2011-09-03 19:20 GMT]

Erik-Martin Jansen Hesshaus  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Correction Sep 22, 2011

Dominique: I apologize. My suggestion applies to 'Pre-translate' (it is in the options screen that opens when you click on 'Pre-translate).

As a side-note: I have also suffered strange segmentations, or let's say mixed segments. I have been able to cut the problem at the roots: during the OCR process. Then making a Word document that is as simple as it can get.

Christophe M.  Identity Verified
South Africa
Member (2010)
English to French
OCR process Oct 25, 2011

Hi Erik,

What do you mean by OCR process?

Erik-Martin Jansen Hesshaus wrote:

Dominique: I apologize. My suggestion applies to 'Pre-translate' (it is in the options screen that opens when you click on 'Pre-translate).

As a side-note: I have also suffered strange segmentations, or let's say mixed segments. I have been able to cut the problem at the roots: during the OCR process. Then making a Word document that is as simple as it can get.

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
optical character recognition Nov 1, 2011

is that which most often makes existing formatting and prospect DTP (desktop publishing) go nuts.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ 4.5.77 - sentences broken into segments

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search