Easiest way of importing from Multiterm 2007 to memoQ?
Thread poster: Dusan Rabrenovic

Dusan Rabrenovic  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 12:38
Member (2008)
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Oct 24, 2011

I received a rather large (20 MB) German-Slovenian Multiterm file in the mdb format with close to 2000 terms. I would like to use it with memoQ's termbase functionality, but am having immense difficulties getting it imported properly. I tried exporting it as XML and TXT, but memoQ wouldn't even look at the XML file, while the TXT file contained a ridiculous amount of fields (34) and as a consequence, the preview looked all messed up. I would like to just export the source and target terms, no need for any other fields.

I tried following some converting advice on this site, but I got too confused and frustrated about 30 minutes in. I will never know what this sentence means "If you don't want to play around with encoding conversions, you need to download and install AltovaXML (it is free), add the path to altovaxml in your system settings so that you can use it anywhere in your file system, and run from the command line:".

Multiterm is version 7.5.0.444 (Build 448), and memoQ is 5.0.22.

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What information do you need? Oct 24, 2011

Can you tell me whether you just need a simple glossary, with the term in the source and target languages, and that's it? Or do you need a more comprehensive termbase with grammar information etc.?

If you only need a simple glossary, I think you could use the "Word dictionary" export option (File > Export > choose "Word dictionary") and then process the generated dictionary a bit to remove the information you do not need, thus making a two-column file. You can then copy this table to Excel, save the table as a tab-delimited TXT file, and import that from memoQ.

István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
or ask for the command-line tool Oct 26, 2011

Hi Dusan,

Another option is that you turn to support@kilgray.com who can give you a command-line tool that allows you to take out the terms from Multiterm XML.

Regards,
István

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Easiest way of importing from Multiterm 2007 to memoQ?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search