how to prepare segmentation rules for excel files?
Thread poster: Bartek Zukowski

Bartek Zukowski
Local time: 04:06
English to Polish
+ ...
Oct 27, 2011

Hello,

I recently installed memoQ and my first impression is very positive - it seems to have all options that Wordfast lacks and is more intuitive than Trados.

But there is one thing that is a problem for me: I don't know how to set segmentation rules using regular expressions to split excel files by whole cells (not sentences). In Wordfast and Trados it is fairly simple because you only need to find the proper option in segmentation rules' settings and turn it on. In memoQ you have to prepare a rule for yourself and memoQ help file gives only basic insight in regular expressions.

Could anyone help me with it? Probably it's very simple. I hope it is

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter!

Direct link Reply with quote

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 05:06
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Very simple Oct 27, 2011

You'll have to open the resource console, go to Segmentation Rules, clone the default rules, press "Edit" and clear all rules therein. This way, memoQ will not follow any rules, hence it will import the entire cells as they appear in Excel.

I have made this rule for my own use, so I can e-mail to you, if my instructions are not clear enough.

Gail Bond MITI  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:06
Member (2009)
French to English
Email support Oct 27, 2011

When I needed to set complex regex rules, it was all a bit beyond me so I emailed Kilgray support and they sent me the codes to enter. I would never have worked it out for myself... looks like gibberish to me! But it works!

support@kilgray.com

Bartek Zukowski
Local time: 04:06
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 28, 2011

Thanks Epameinondas! Indeed it is very simple

And thanks Gail for your advice. I will contact Kilgray support in case of any future problems.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to prepare segmentation rules for excel files?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search