https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/211801-working_with_inx_files_in_memoq.html

Working with inx files in MemoQ
Thread poster: Dorothy Schaps
Dorothy Schaps
Dorothy Schaps  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:11
Member (2010)
German to English
Nov 11, 2011

Hi all,

I've just had an enquiry from a client asking whether I can handle inx files. The end customer would be sending inx files and would require inx files sent back.

I've been searching fruitlessly for some in-depth info on how MemoQ handles inx files. All I found in the help was "memoQ currently fully supports INX files created in versions CS2, CS3, and CS4 of InDesign®." However I have a feeling that I won't be able to export back to inx. Is this correct? Does any
... See more
Hi all,

I've just had an enquiry from a client asking whether I can handle inx files. The end customer would be sending inx files and would require inx files sent back.

I've been searching fruitlessly for some in-depth info on how MemoQ handles inx files. All I found in the help was "memoQ currently fully supports INX files created in versions CS2, CS3, and CS4 of InDesign®." However I have a feeling that I won't be able to export back to inx. Is this correct? Does any special segmentation have to be done to the files before I can use them?

Thanks for your help!
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:11
English to French
+ ...
Go ahead Nov 11, 2011

MemoQ handles .inx files fine, and the finished translation is exported as .inx.

However, I always do a test for customers, so that they can verify that the files exported by MemoQ are OK for them.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No problem at all! Nov 11, 2011

I regularly handle INX files with memoQ, and more recently also IDML files (the files from InDesign 5), with no problem or difficulty at all. Just make sure all tags are there as you translate!

[Edited at 2011-11-11 14:42 GMT]

Dorothy Schaps
Germany
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Fantastic! Nov 11, 2011

Wow! Thanks Tomás! That is great to hear! No idea why I thought it wouldn't work - I must have got inx confused with some other file format!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
;-) Nov 11, 2011

Just feel free to get in touch in case you have any queries about how to handle the format. Although it is tremendously simple: wherever there are tags, it's best to copy the source to the target and translate the text around the tags. memoQ will show a warning (the lightning icon) if you are missing any tags.

Dorothy Schaps
Germany
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Tomás! Nov 11, 2011

It seems to be as easy as translating a word file!

Dorothy Schaps
Germany
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea JL01! Nov 11, 2011

Thank you as well, I only just saw your post - there seems to have been a delay! I suggested that to the client - seems to be a doubly good idea seeming as I've never worked with inx files in memoQ before!

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:11
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Languageterminal or memoQ route for .inx files? Mar 4, 2013

What is better: import an InDesign .inx file directly into memoQ, or use
languageterminal.com to create a .mqxlz file and translate that? I am just starting to get InDesign files and would like to hear from people who have tried the two different workflows.

Michael

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:11
Finnish to French
INX/IDML vs. INDD Mar 5, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:
What is better: import an InDesign .inx file directly into memoQ, or use
languageterminal.com to create a .mqxlz file and translate that? I am just starting to get InDesign files and would like to hear from people who have tried the two different workflows.

The full benefits of languageterminal.com materialize if you have the native .INDD file. If you only have exported text (.INX or .IDML), you'd probably be better off importing it directly in memoQ. Btw, .INX is used by older versions of InDesign/Creative Suite. You may want to check if .IDML would be available.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:11
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks Dominique! Mar 5, 2013

The client was in a hurry and ended up just sending me a TTX, but I'll keep what you said about IDML files in mind for next time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with inx files in MemoQ

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »