Am I the only one that feels the default cursor position at the end inconvenient?
Thread poster: Chunyi Chen

Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 07:18
English to Chinese
Nov 20, 2011

Dear fellow MemoQ users:

When I copy a source segment to target using Ctrl+Shift+S or have MemoQ copy it for me by selecting the copy the source to target when no match is found option, the cursor position is at the end of the segment. This means that I would need to manually move the cursor postion to the beginning and then translate. Am I the only one that feels this setting inconvenient? Don't we usually start processing a segment at the beginning, not at the end? Studio has
... See more
Dear fellow MemoQ users:

When I copy a source segment to target using Ctrl+Shift+S or have MemoQ copy it for me by selecting the copy the source to target when no match is found option, the cursor position is at the end of the segment. This means that I would need to manually move the cursor postion to the beginning and then translate. Am I the only one that feels this setting inconvenient? Don't we usually start processing a segment at the beginning, not at the end? Studio has the cursor positioned at the beginning for both scenarios and I find it more logical and convenient.

Maybe there is a setting in MemoQ I didn't know about that can designate the cursor position to the beginning of a segment on the target side?

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts on this.

Chun-yi
Collapse

Kelly Venz  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:18
Member (2010)
French to English
Agree Nov 20, 2011

I agree, I've come across this problem quite often and it is annoying, however have no idea how to change it (if there is a setting?). Would love to hear if someone has found a solution!

[Edited at 2011-11-20 18:03 GMT]

Juancar
English to Spanish
I agree Nov 21, 2011

I agree with you guys. I would lke to have it atthe beginning as well. Let's keep commenting on this and maybe Kilgray will end up doing it. It might not be a big deal.

JC

Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
glad to know I am not alone Nov 21, 2011

Thank you, folks, for agreeing that the default cursor position is inconvenient.

I have found that one way to have the cursor at the start of a segment is to
copy all source to target, in other words, to prefill the target segments with the source text, and then translate. However, you would lose the benefit of MemoQ's inserting the good match for you to the target segment whenever there is one available from the TM/corpus. Both features (cursor position at the beginning an
... See more
Thank you, folks, for agreeing that the default cursor position is inconvenient.

I have found that one way to have the cursor at the start of a segment is to
copy all source to target, in other words, to prefill the target segments with the source text, and then translate. However, you would lose the benefit of MemoQ's inserting the good match for you to the target segment whenever there is one available from the TM/corpus. Both features (cursor position at the beginning and automatic insertion of a match) are essential to me.

Thank you again. I do hope that Kilgray will consider adding this cursor thing as an option that would cater to the needs of people who prefer working this way.

Chun-yi
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Kilgray's response to this issue Nov 22, 2011

Hi everyone,

I just received an email from Kilgray on this issue and here is what they said in their response:

"Hi Chun-yi,

Thanks for pointing this out, it makes perfect sense. In fact, this is what we have intended to do for a while. We'll change the behavior of Ctrl+Shift+S in an upcoming build, not far from now."

Who can refuse to work with a company and a great team like them? I am really looking forward to the new build. I believe it wi
... See more
Hi everyone,

I just received an email from Kilgray on this issue and here is what they said in their response:

"Hi Chun-yi,

Thanks for pointing this out, it makes perfect sense. In fact, this is what we have intended to do for a while. We'll change the behavior of Ctrl+Shift+S in an upcoming build, not far from now."

Who can refuse to work with a company and a great team like them? I am really looking forward to the new build. I believe it will not be too long, based on their past records:)

Thank you, Kilgray!

Chun-yi
Collapse

Ulrika Mansson
Local time: 16:18
German to Swedish
+ ...
how to put the cursor at the beginning of the segment Dec 19, 2011

if you edit the target somehow, by for example a search and replace, the cursor automatically gets placed at the beginning of the segment. so i copy source to target for all segments and then make a global search for space and replace it with space. that usually covers most of the segments
of course you have to be careful about the scope, you would not want to do that for your already translated and confirmed segments, sinc
... See more
if you edit the target somehow, by for example a search and replace, the cursor automatically gets placed at the beginning of the segment. so i copy source to target for all segments and then make a global search for space and replace it with space. that usually covers most of the segments
of course you have to be careful about the scope, you would not want to do that for your already translated and confirmed segments, since that would change the status for them. but i use the views and the filtering functions to avoid that.
hope this makes someone happy!
ulrika
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Ulrika, for the tip! Dec 19, 2011

But I have to admit that your suggestion is a little above my level:)
I will certainly try it when I start working on a new file with empty targets.
Thank you again.

Chun-yi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Am I the only one that feels the default cursor position at the end inconvenient?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search