Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Local time: 05:32
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Dec 13, 2011

I am trying MemoQ, and I am wondering if there is a way to select a range of segments(not all of them) very quickly.

For example, I have a document with 2500 segment, is there a way to select 1000-1600 very rapidly?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:32
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, of course! Dec 13, 2011

Very easy: go to your first segment and click on its number. It gets highlighted. Do not click anywhere inside of the grid for now. Use the mouse or the scroll bar to go to show your final segment on the screen, leep Shift pressed and click the number of the segment. This expands the highlight to all the segments of the range.

(BTW: This is also how you select blocks of rows in Excel, for instance).

Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Tomas, many thanks. Dec 13, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Very easy: go to your first segment and click on its number. It gets highlighted. Do not click anywhere inside of the grid for now. Use the mouse or the scroll bar to go to show your final segment on the screen, leep Shift pressed and click the number of the segment. This expands the highlight to all the segments of the range.

(BTW: This is also how you select blocks of rows in Excel, for instance).

Rather quick.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
For a lower number of segments Dec 13, 2011

Another method for shorter lists (I use this all the time!): highlight your first segment by clicking on its number. Then while you keep pressed Shift in the keyboard, you press the down arrow key in the keyboard. A second row gets highlighted. Press the down arrow as many times as you need in order to select your list, or even keep it pressed for faster action. Of course, while you keep Shift pressed you can also use Page Down or Page Up keyboard presses to select whole pages. Just as in any Wi... See more
Another method for shorter lists (I use this all the time!): highlight your first segment by clicking on its number. Then while you keep pressed Shift in the keyboard, you press the down arrow key in the keyboard. A second row gets highlighted. Press the down arrow as many times as you need in order to select your list, or even keep it pressed for faster action. Of course, while you keep Shift pressed you can also use Page Down or Page Up keyboard presses to select whole pages. Just as in any Windows-based programme!

Good luck!
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
View? Dec 13, 2011

I am not sure what you need the selection for, but in view creation you can specify the rows to be included in a specific view. That way you can e.g. split a file in two and export to bilingual files.

Juan Carlos Sánchez López
Juan Carlos Sánchez López
English to Spanish
+ ...
What for? Dec 13, 2011

I'm interested in why you want to select just a number of segments. I can do it the way you tell, but then I can't do anything with them. Can you for instance export these segments? How? I don't find any option for that.

Thank you all

JC

Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To update the Memory Dec 13, 2011

I just do it to update the memory. For example , if I have edited and confirmed segment 1001-1600. I just select them all and update the memory. I do not like to repeat CTRL+ENTER for 600 times.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:32
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hmm Dec 13, 2011

Hello Jing,

But if you don't keep confirming the segments as you work your way down the text (and consequently update your TM) you will be working with a TM that isn't up to date with yourself, so to speak.

Michael

[Edited at 2011-12-13 12:05 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other uses Dec 13, 2011

Juancar wrote:
I'm interested in why you want to select just a number of segments. I can do it the way you tell, but then I can't do anything with them. Can you for instance export these segments? How? I don't find any option for that.

There are numerous situations in which this is very useful. For instance, you might have a list of references or names which do not require translation, and you want to copy the source to the target and confirm them all in one go, instead of having to process them one by one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to select a range of segments rapidly

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »