Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is there a way to disable fragment assembly in MemoQ?
Thread poster: Claudio LR
Claudio LR
Local time: 19:48
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 19, 2012

Is there a way to disable fragment assembly in MemoQ without disabling automatic scan/insert segments?
I just DON'T want fragment assembly, but I cannot find a way to disable it without disabling scanning for segment matches (which instead I do need).
Hope there is a solution as I find this feature very annoying and cannot find a way to get rid of it...
I am using MemoQ 5.0
Thanks in advance!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:48
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Simple Jan 19, 2012

In the grid, select Translation -> Automatic Lookup and Insertion, and simply disable checkbox Insert fragment assembled hit.

I think this should do it!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Claudio LR
Local time: 19:48
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not really what I was looking for... Jan 19, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

In the grid, select Translation -> Automatic Lookup and Insertion, and simply disable checkbox Insert fragment assembled hit.

I think this should do it!


Actually this is already disabled. Yet, I would like to find an option not to show me the fragment assembly. For example, if there is no segment match I find very distracting and annoying to have these framents appearing all the time even if not inserted automatically.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:48
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I see! Jan 19, 2012

Claudio LR wrote:
Actually this is already disabled. Yet, I would like to find an option not to show me the fragment assembly. For example, if there is no segment match I find very distracting and annoying to have these framents appearing all the time even if not inserted automatically.

Hm... I do not think you can disable that. Why don't you email Kilgray about it (support@kilgray.com)? They might even add this as a potential feature for future releases.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Claudio LR
Local time: 19:48
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will Jan 19, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Claudio LR wrote:
Actually this is already disabled. Yet, I would like to find an option not to show me the fragment assembly. For example, if there is no segment match I find very distracting and annoying to have these framents appearing all the time even if not inserted automatically.

Hm... I do not think you can disable that. Why don't you email Kilgray about it (support@kilgray.com)? They might even add this as a potential feature for future releases.


That's what I wanted to do, but I was trying to see if maybe someone knew a solution. Well, I'll post here whatever they reply (if in the meantime someone knows a workaround for this, do not hesitate to reply)


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Juancar
English to Spanish
I agree Jan 19, 2012

I totally agree with you, Claudio, I'm looking forward to get rid of this function. I find it totally useless and I don't understand why other people haven't complained about it.

Regards

JC


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Claudio LR
Local time: 19:48
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Probably because it has not always been there... Jan 19, 2012

Juancar wrote:

I totally agree with you, Claudio, I'm looking forward to get rid of this function. I find it totally useless and I don't understand why other people haven't complained about it.

Regards

JC


I believe, but I maybe wrong, it's because it was not there on previous versions or was just optional (that's what I seem to understand reading the help guide). Probably many people think, like I have done so far, that they simply don't know MemoQ well enough to be able to switch this off. Some people maybe find this useful for some reasons, but I am sure many people find it just irritating and would like to be able to disable it...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:48
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
There for a long time Jan 19, 2012

Actually the feature has been there for a long time, at least two years. We started with memoQ 3.5 in 2009 and it was already there.

Edited to add this: Actually I quite like the option. When you translate long paragraphs that contain expressions and phrases that are already in the memory, using the fragment-assembled segment can help you reduce the amount of concordance searches and double-clicks on concordance hits. I would like to keep it, although I would not mind if an option allowed you to temporarily disable it.

[Edited at 2012-01-19 18:44 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Claudio LR
Local time: 19:48
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's the point Jan 19, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Actually the feature has been there for a long time, at least two years. We started with memoQ 3.5 in 2009 and it was already there.

Edited to add this: Actually I quite like the option. When you translate long paragraphs that contain expressions and phrases that are already in the memory, using the fragment-assembled segment can help you reduce the amount of concordance searches and double-clicks on concordance hits. I would like to keep it, although I would not mind if an option allowed you to temporarily disable it.

[Edited at 2012-01-19 18:44 GMT]


In Trados Workbench for instance (I don't know Studio), you can select automatic concordance or deselect it (it's not exactly the same, but it's just to give an example). The point is precisely forcing all users to have something they don't necessarily need or want or simply don't want all the time. Sometimes I select automatic concordance in Trados, sometimes I don't, but I would not appreciate to be forced to have it all the time. The problem with MemoQ is that in order to disable it you have to disable also the segment matches, which makes the TM almost useless... Well, we'll see what MemoQ replies...


Direct link Reply with quote
 
István Lengyel
Hungary
Local time: 19:48
English to Hungarian
+ ...
not possible yet, will be possible Jan 21, 2012

Hi Claudio,

We are adding a new feature about the prioritization and display of different translation result types in memoQ 6 - so please wait until that version comes out.

Best regards,
István


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Claudio LR
Local time: 19:48
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great. One more thing. Jan 21, 2012

István Lengyel wrote:

Hi Claudio,

We are adding a new feature about the prioritization and display of different translation result types in memoQ 6 - so please wait until that version comes out.

Best regards,
István


Hi István

Thank you. Good news. Will it take long before memoQ 6 is launched? (I will be working on some very large projects in April-May and it would be great if I could use it by then..)

Can I suggest one more feature? Since you are upgrading displays of translation results, can you provide an option to have changes shown as "highlighting" in addition to markup (bold, italic, underline). That would be really great, as markup is something that slows me down compared to Trados.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
A useless feature, at least in my work Mar 7, 2012

Thank you for letting us know how to disable preinsertion of assembled fragments.

Juancar wrote:

I totally agree with you, Claudio, I'm looking forward to get rid of this function. I find it totally useless and I don't understand why other people haven't complained about it.


Likewise. I'd much rather they not show up on screen at all. I work on a netbook with a relatively low-rise screen, so I want to be able to hide extraneous items like the purple-line matched.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
FarkasAndras
Local time: 19:48
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Good riddance Mar 7, 2012

I also find the fragment assembly completely useless. It doesn't help that MQ just mixes together TM and TB hits of all sorts in one block with colour codes that I can never quite remember - the autoassembled garbage segments make the already messy UI even more confusing.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
Minor hitch in a really good program Mar 8, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:

I also find the fragment assembly completely useless. It doesn't help that MQ just mixes together TM and TB hits of all sorts in one block with colour codes that I can never quite remember - the autoassembled garbage segments make the already messy UI even more confusing.


I generally like the user interface, but I'd be happy if I could hide the purple line. I've never seen fragment assembly assemble anything remotely useful.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 20:48
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Mouse over hint explaining colour codes? Mar 8, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:
It doesn't help that MQ just mixes together TM and TB hits of all sorts in one block with colour codes that I can never quite remember.


I find it difficult too. It probably works for most people, but it does not work that great for me. This is just an idea, but since I regularly work with more than one tool these days (sometimes around 3-4 different tools in one day), I would welcome something like a hint box explaining where the hit comes from when I mouse over the color code column.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to disable fragment assembly in MemoQ?

Advanced search






Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search