Thread poster: Mohamed Kamel
Mohamed Kamel
Mohamed Kamel  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 08:22
English to Arabic
Feb 12, 2012

Hi all,

I use memoQ 4.5.23 and there is a message appears when confirming a segment. The message says "Translation of source term ".........." is missing from the target", these dots (......) are words or letters in some cases. In fact, I don't understand what is going on... what is the meaning of this message?

Thank you in advance.

Mohamed

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have a termbase active? Feb 12, 2012

This means that you are using some termbase (either one made by yourself or included in the customer's package) and that there is an expected term for some term in the source text. Check the translation results on the right hand-side and see whether you are using the target term expected by the termbase.

I hope this helps!

Mohamed Kamel
Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I have an active termbase. Feb 12, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

This means that you are using some termbase (either one made by yourself or included in the customer's package) and that there is an expected term for some term in the source text. Check the translation results on the right hand-side and see whether you are using the target term expected by the termbase.

I hope this helps!

Thank you Thomas for your reply. Yes, I have an active termbase, made by myself. What if I want to change the translated term and don't want to use the translation in the termbase, how could I avoid such error? I know I could ignore these warnings, but, I think this is somehow time-consuming.

Thank you for your help.

Mohamed

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What is the reason not to use the term? Feb 12, 2012

I would think about the reason you do not want to use a particular term. If the reason is because the term is not correct for the context, you could add the new term with a definition explaining in which contexts it is correct. This way you can make your termbase richer with time.

If the reason is a grammar issue, for instance that the word is not correct because it has to have a different suffix depending on the grammar, you might want to use the prefix-suffix separator (the vertic
... See more
I would think about the reason you do not want to use a particular term. If the reason is because the term is not correct for the context, you could add the new term with a definition explaining in which contexts it is correct. This way you can make your termbase richer with time.

If the reason is a grammar issue, for instance that the word is not correct because it has to have a different suffix depending on the grammar, you might want to use the prefix-suffix separator (the vertical bar). You can also use an asterisk to mean "anything from this point".

In Spanish for instance, I would have:
- "separaci|ón" which matches both "separación" and "separaciones"

- "ondulad|o" which matches the feminine/masculine and plural/singular forms "ondulada", "ondulado", "onduladas", "ondulados".

- "automóvil*" which matches the singular and plural forms "automóvil" and "automóviles".

By adding new entries for the context in question and improving the definition with prefixes and suffixes, you make your termbase richer and better for future jobs.

If the use of the termbase is what you feel is annoying or unnecessary for a job in particular, you can of course disable the termbase temporarily.
Collapse

Mohamed Kamel
Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Great Tomas and memoQ is great as well :) Feb 12, 2012

The reason is a mixture of the above mentioned. Your answer to me was very rich. I really like memoQ more than any other CAT tool

Thank you Tomas

Mohamed

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

error code 03091 - memoQ 4.5.23

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »