Is it possible to create a view based on Homogeneity?
Thread poster: Piotr Bienkowski

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:03
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Feb 27, 2012

For example to create a view for the 75-94 homogeneity range to be able to translate those similar segments faster and thus speed up work?

Will appreciate,

Piotr

Elisabeth Bull  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Don't think so Feb 27, 2012

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here, but homogeneity is not a tool that can be used to speed up work. It can only be used to measure "real" workload. Normally when you translate a "big" job with lots of strings that are quite similar, it will feel as if you get to translate more words per day towards the end when you get lots of fuzzy matches that were analysed as no-matches in the initial analysis.
If you perform a homogeneity analysis first, these late fuzzies will be analysed as fuzzies instead of no-matches. This does not mean that anything is done more efficient or different from any ordinary job done in a tool.
If we agree to letting a company use this homogeneity analysis when they send out jobs, they can potentially lower our payment by as much as 20%.

Best regards,
Elisabeth

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorting Feb 28, 2012

Elisabeth Bull wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here, but homogeneity is not a tool that can be used to speed up work. It can only be used to measure "real" workload.(...)

Translating similar units in sequence can speed up work. This can be achieved in MemoQ by sorting to group similar units together, not creating a view. As far as I know, my client is not reaping the benefit of homogeneity this time.

Regards,

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to create a view based on Homogeneity?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search