Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How good is MemoQ's compatibility with Studio and TagEditor?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
May 31, 2012

Hi,

How good is MemoQ's compatibility with Studio 2009 and Studio 2011 packages and SDLXLF files? And how good can MQ handle TTX files?

Is it absolutely bullet proof? Can MQ deal with SDL's invalid XML characters? Will neither TagEditor or Studio complain about projects/files translated in MQ?

Thanks,

Hans

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:55
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My two cents May 31, 2012

I cannot tell whether memoQ and Studio/TagEditor will be friends in all cases (in fact there is an issue with colouring in TTX files, which gets removed by memoQ), but my experience after two and a half years is that all files delivered in SDLXLIFF and TTX files are perfectly OK with my Trados-based customers.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
My Experience with Trados files in MemoQ May 31, 2012

Hans Lenting wrote:

Hi,

How good is MemoQ's compatibility with Studio 2009 and Studio 2011 packages and SDLXLF files? And how good can MQ handle TTX files?

Is it absolutely bullet proof? Can MQ deal with SDL's invalid XML characters? Will neither TagEditor or Studio complain about projects/files translated in MQ?

Thanks,

Hans

pretranslated TTX files - OK
SDLXLIFF - tried once, customer complained that there was something wrong with the file after translation
Invalid characters in TMX flies from Trados and SDLX (all versions) - you can use the free Okapi Rainbow (http://okapi.opentag.com) to purge them. There is an XML characters fixing step in it.

HTH

Piotr

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
processing sdlxliff in memoQ - can be problematic May 31, 2012

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

SDLXLIFF - tried once, customer complained that there was something wrong with the file after translation

I have got the same experience. Not to mention the fact that memoQ cannot handle the metadata (.i.e. segments statuses) of .sdlxliff files.

Regards,
Gyula

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
several times each year May 31, 2012

I get a project with hundreds of small xml files (and an INI file), each one in his own folder, and I have to deliver the translated files (with the same name + TTX file in his own folder). How could I do that with MemoQ?

Piotr Bienkowski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
MemoQ could do that just fine, May 31, 2012

Fernando Toledo wrote:

I get a project with hundreds of small xml files (and an INI file), each one in his own folder, and I have to deliver the translated files (with the same name + TTX file in his own folder). How could I do that with MemoQ?

as regards keeping the folder structure, but it would not read the ini which is for Tageditor, and I guess you would have to define the translatable tags for each file. You can of course save your tag settings file for reuse.

Regards,

Piotr

Nadiia and Vatslav Yehurnovy
Nadiia and Vatslav Yehurnovy
Ukraine
Local time: 23:55
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Just easily :) Jun 1, 2012

Fernando Toledo wrote:

1. Open all of them in TagEditor and save as ttx.
2. Pre-segment using Workbench.
3. Open all of them in MemoQ and perform "clear translations" if necessary.
4. Cleanup the files in Workbench.

Done

Worked fine for MemoQ 5 a couple of times.

TTX proved to be 100% bullet-proof, but not so with sdlxliff...

[Edited at 2012-06-01 05:50 GMT]

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
You don't understand the ponit Jun 1, 2012

Nadezhda & Vatslav Yehurnovy wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:

one by one? each file is in a different folder

same

3. Open all of them in MemoQ and perform "clear translations" if necessary.
If I open the files in MQ, I get new files with other extension but I have to send the same folders with the same files incl. TTX and nothing more inside

4. Cleanup the files in Workbench.
If I open it in Tageditor a make a presegmentation in Tageditor and I clean it in Tageditor, why should I use other application to do... to do what?

Done

yes, but in 100 hours more

Worked fine for MemoQ 5 a couple of times.

TTX proved to be 100% bullet-proof, but not so with sdlxliff...

[Edited at 2012-06-01 05:50 GMT]

I speak about hundreds of files.

My point: I want to use ONLY one software, I would like to use the BEST, but at the end I HAVE TO use the one my client decide to use.

Regards

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Scripting Jun 1, 2012

Fernando Toledo wrote:
I speak about hundreds of files.

If you have to have ttx, then you have to open each file in Workbench/TagEditor - there is no way around it, either with MQ and Studio.

However, the process may be semiautomated.

I see two solutions:

1. Use a .vbs script to pretranslate all the files with Workbench. You need to be familiar with scripting, though.

2. I am not sure this will work, just giving a concept here:
- get a file manager/another software/write script which can generate file lists from subfolders
- edit it to a batch file that will copy all of them to a single directory (if the filenames are different; if not, rename is also required)
e.g.
C:\Business\Very\Complicated\Path\first.xml
C:\Business\Very\Complicated\Path\Even\More\second.xml
to
copy C:\Business\Very\Complicated\Path\first.xml c:\OneDirectory\
copy C:\Business\Very\Complicated\Path\Even\More\second.xml c:\OneDirectory\
etc.
- after copying, pretranslate, translate etc.
- regex the batch file to get:
copy c:\OneDirectory\first.xml.ttx C:\Business\Very\Complicated\Path\first.xml.ttx
copy c:\OneDirectory\second.xml.ttx C:\Business\Very\Complicated\Path\Even\More\second.xml.ttx
- run the batch file, obviously.

Of course, in MQ or Studio you don't open each file separately - you create one view (MQ) or merge them (Studio).

EDIT: I forgot Studio has not TTX-it - utility to automate ttx creation. I do not know if it does folder structures, though.

[Edited at 2012-06-01 07:25 GMT]

Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Fernando, I have the same scenario... Jun 6, 2012

I regularly translate hundreds of XML files in their folder structures.

I'm currently testing memoQ and have "heard" that this is possible in mQ with the "Views" option, but I haven't investigated that yet.

What I do know is that SDL Studio can import large numbers of files & folders simply by pointing to the parent directory. You can merge the files into a single SDLXLIFF.

HTH
-Mike-

Piotr Bienkowski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Views Jun 6, 2012

Yes, you can glue all files together in a View, Create a view from repetitions, and there are other options available. A limitation of a view is that you cannot split/join segments.

Piotr

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
Translation is not the problem Jun 8, 2012

Marketing-Lang. wrote:

I regularly translate hundreds of XML files in their folder structures.

I'm currently testing memoQ and have "heard" that this is possible in mQ with the "Views" option, but I haven't investigated that yet.

What I do know is that SDL Studio can import large numbers of files & folders simply by pointing to the parent directory. You can merge the files into a single SDLXLIFF.

HTH
-Mike-

The problem is how to send back the same folder structure with a TTX file incl. in each folder (should be less work and less risk as with Tageditor, of course).

Regards.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How to open files in subfolders Jun 8, 2012

Fernando Toledo wrote:
Nadezhda & Vatslav Yehurnovy wrote:

one by one? each file is in a different folder

Right-click the top-level folder and select "Search". Then do a search for ".xml". All the XML files will then be in the search results. Select them all (Ctrl+A) and then drag-and-drop them into TagEditor in one go. When they are saved, TagEditor will (should!) save each TTX in the same folder as each TTX file.

same

Do the same -- search the top-level folder for ".ttx" and then drag-and-drop all the files into the "Translate" dialog of Workbench.

I can't help further than that since I don't use MemoQ myself.

[Edited at 2012-06-08 20:25 GMT]

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
This is the question, not Tageditor Jun 9, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

I can't help further than that since I don't use MemoQ myself.

[Edited at 2012-06-08 20:25 GMT]

MemoQ and Studio make their own folder structures, Tageditor works direct in the same folder where the files are, Tageditor do not create a project.

Regards

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
MemoQ folder import Jun 9, 2012

When you have all ttx in place (excellent tip about dragging the files, haven't thought of that!), it is very easy to handle them in MemoQ: you import the folder structure (e.g. all ttx files from all subfolders of the base path) and define the export path in such a way that the final files are put in appropriate subfolders of a different, target folder.

When you have all files imported, you create a view from them. After translation you just use the export function and all files en
... See more
When you have all ttx in place (excellent tip about dragging the files, haven't thought of that!), it is very easy to handle them in MemoQ: you import the folder structure (e.g. all ttx files from all subfolders of the base path) and define the export path in such a way that the final files are put in appropriate subfolders of a different, target folder.

When you have all files imported, you create a view from them. After translation you just use the export function and all files end up where they should.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How good is MemoQ's compatibility with Studio and TagEditor?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »