Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:38
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Move the Corpora folder? Jun 8, 2012

Will moving the corpora folder do the job?

I will try it tomorrow and let you know.

I'm migrating the data from my old workhorse that will serve as video player for kids now and then will go the way of the dinosaur.

Regards,

Piotr

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 06:38
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Via backup? Jun 9, 2012

Hi Piotr,

I would have thought that LiveDocs get imported into your MemoQ folder as xml files, but I'm not entirely sure about that. What I would do is make a backup of all files on a separate medium (memory stick for example), install on the new system, and restore the backup. All before erasing the old system, of course.

That way, you can check if everything works without having to take care of loose e
... See more
Hi Piotr,

I would have thought that LiveDocs get imported into your MemoQ folder as xml files, but I'm not entirely sure about that. What I would do is make a backup of all files on a separate medium (memory stick for example), install on the new system, and restore the backup. All before erasing the old system, of course.

That way, you can check if everything works without having to take care of loose ends manually.

See here for the folders needed: http://kilgray.com/faq/establishing-backup-procedure-memoq

Just as a ps, a regular backup is in any case a good idea. I have copies on a home server. If the old system will remain attached to your home network, you could make your own home server for these purposes. Just reserve a bit of hard disk space (or add an old extra hard disk, with password protection) and set up a backup rule using - for example - the free Synctoy for windows. That kind of use hardly takes up any network or computing resources.

Make sure you only back up one way though. Unless you want your kids to accidentally trash your files.
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:38
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It will work by just moving the folders between computers... Jun 9, 2012

...but later you will have to register the corpora.xml file for each corpora folder.

Backup, as far as I can understand is for moving projects, but I am not interested in this. Exporting/importing the tmx is good enough for me. I don't want to clutter up the fresh installation of MemoQ with old projects.

Regards

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving LiveDocs between computers

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »