General error when opening MemoQ
Thread poster: GreenUK
I installed MemoQ (initially version 6 but I have since also tried version 5) on my new laptop and haven't been able to open it since. It installs absolutely fine, but when I try and open it I get the following general error message:
There is an error in XML document (0, 0).
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(Stream stream)
at MemoQ.Common.SerializationHelper.DeserializeXML(Type objType, String filePath)
at MemoQ.MainWindow.mainCore(String args)
------------------ Inner exception ------------------
Root element is missing.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowWithoutLineInfo(String res)
This always seems to happen when the loading screen says "Loading settings... Loaded DLL: Genuine Channels.dll"
I never had this problem on my previous laptop and have searched around online for a solution but haven't managed to find anything. As I have only just installed MemoQ on my laptop there are obviously no current projects saved on here.
Any help in solving this issue would be very much appreciated. My laptop is running Windows 7 64-bit and I have downloaded all available updates.
Many thanks in advance.
| | Textklick
Local time: 21:51
German to English
Maybe you should have loaded 5 first? Who knows?
Support@kilgray.com provide detailed help (which you obviously can't see) and excellent site support with 'misbehaving' files.
In this case (general error) I'd guess they are are unavoidable - and you will find them refreshingly prompt and useful.
| Delete TranslationMemories.xml || Aug 17, 2012 |
Any help in solving this issue would be very much appreciated.
FWIW, here is the advice provided by Kilgray's Gábor Ugray on the memoQ mailing list, when someone encountered the same error message:
please delete this file when memoQ is not running:
After this, memoQ will start up, but the resource console will not show any TMs. Don't worry, the TMs are all there, you can put them back on the list by using Register local.
| Suggestion unfortunately did not work || Aug 17, 2012 |
Many thanks for your replies!
I got in touch with MemoQ support and they suggested deleting the AppPreferences.xml file but unfortunately this did not solve my problem. I have now just deleted the TranslationMemories.xml file but MemoQ will still not open and is displaying the same error message.
Thank you anyway. I'm hoping that if nobody has anything else to suggest here, then MemoQ support will contact me again on Monday with further suggestions.
| Same problem || Aug 19, 2012 |
I've had a similar problem twice.
This first time, I had been working on a project where the translation memories and everything else were saved on an external hard drive. The next time I opened MemoQ, I had forgotten to plug the external hard drive back in, and since MemoQ obviously couldn't find the last project and TMs that I had been working on, it refused to open with a General Error. After reconnecting the hard drive, MemoQ opened straight away.
The second time, I was using MemoQ when my computer suddenly crashed. Ever since, I've been unable to get MemoQ to work and I get an identical error code to yours. I've scoured the Internet in search of possible workarounds (including the ones posted in this thread), all to no avail. I've even tried deleting and reinstalling MemoQ, but still no joy, which makes me think I must have a corrupt file somewhere (either a MemoQ file or a Windows system file).
I must admit that I haven't had time yet to contact Kilgray, but if you do get a solution to your particular problem, could you post it here please?
| Reply with answer || Aug 19, 2012 |
Thanks for your reply.
I still haven't managed to get MemoQ to work but am aiming to get back in touch with the support team tomorrow to try and resolve my issue. I'll be sure to post any suggestions I receive from them on here as it seems I'm not the only one having this problem.
Apologies for the delay but I've been on holiday and only just had chance to get my issue with memoQ resolved. In the end the support team were extremely helpful and took remote control of my laptop and solved the issue themselves. It seemed to be a matter of reinstalling the software and deleting a specific file (unfortunately I didn't catch which file in particular). My advice to anyone still experiencing problems is to contact the support team directly as they are extremely helpful and efficient.
| Kilgray support || Sep 3, 2012 |
Glad to hear you've got the problem sorted. Thanks for the feedback - I'll have to get in touch with Kilgray to get my version running again.
To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:
You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »
General error when opening MemoQ
|SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance|
|The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.|
SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.
More info »
|Protemos translation business management system |
|Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!|
The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.
More info »