Video on auto-translation rules
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:44
Finnish to French
Oct 10, 2012

I just made a video (9 min.) showing how to use three simple auto-translation rules to translate phrases like "two days ago", "three months ago", "15 years ago" etc. into French:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/10/11/memoq-auto-translation-rules-explained/
or
http://youtu.be/8DcBv0Zh6sg?hd=1

The sample rule set used in video (3 KB ZIP file) is available at http://goo.gl/VaBBZ


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 08:44
English to Chinese
very informative Oct 11, 2012

Another well-done video with lots of useful information, Dominique! Thank you! I am going to try reproducing this for my language pair.

Fortunately, this may even be easier for Chinese because "ago" can stay where it is, although we tend to place the time element at the end of the sentence.

One follow up question: How do you set up this auto-translation rule so that this rule is selected for future projects by default? I still can't figure out how to create a project template in MemoQ that allows me to use the same settings (such as a customized rule like this one) without re-selecting them when creating a new project.

Thank you.

Chun-yi


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:44
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Set auto-translation rule set as default for given language Oct 11, 2012

Chun-yi Chen wrote:
Another well-done video with lots of useful information, Dominique! Thank you! I am going to try reproducing this for my language pair.

You're welcome!
Chun-yi Chen wrote:
Fortunately, this may even be easier for Chinese because "ago" can stay where it is, although we tend to place the time element at the end of the sentence.

If the word order is the same in both languages, you could of course add the individual components, ie. numbers (two, three, four...), time units (days, weeks...) and "ago" and their equivalents in Chinese to a termbase and let fragment assembling do the job. This is auto-assemble used as a "poor man's MT" (translation word by word). But the memoQ auto-translation rules will also work.
Chun-yi Chen wrote:
One follow up question: How do you set up this auto-translation rule so that this rule is selected for future projects by default? I still can't figure out how to create a project template in MemoQ that allows me to use the same settings (such as a customized rule like this one) without re-selecting them when creating a new project.

Instead of going to auto-translation rules via Project Home > Settings inside a given project, go there via Tools > Options > Default resources. You should be able to enable your newly created rule set for Chinese:



If I understand correctly, this means all new projects with Chinese as target will inherit that rule set. If you are translating the other way round (Chinese into English), choose English instead.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 08:44
English to Chinese
You ARE a CAT guru, Dominique! Oct 11, 2012

Usually when people cat-hop, they tend to excel in one of them, but this doesn't seem to be your case:)

Although the order in Chinese for the time element is the same as in English, the auto-translation solution seems to be a bigger time saver, so I will definitely try this solution you came up with.

And thank you for the information on how to set my own rules as default for future files. I have been using MemoQ for over a year now and never realize I can change settings in Default resources...so embarrassing.

Chun-yi

Dominique Pivard wrote:


If the word order is the same in both languages, you could of course add the individual components, ie. numbers (two, three, four...), time units (days, weeks...) and "ago" and their equivalents in Chinese to a termbase and let fragment assembling do the job. This is auto-assemble used as a "poor man's MT" (translation word by word). But the memoQ auto-translation rules will also work.

[/quote]
Instead of going to auto-translation rules via Project Home > Settings inside a given project, go there via Tools > Options > Default resources. You should be able to enable your newly created rule set for Chinese:

If I understand correctly, this means all new projects with Chinese as target will inherit that rule set. If you are translating the other way round (Chinese into English), choose English instead. [/quote]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Video on auto-translation rules

Advanced search






PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search