Is 'longest substring concordance (LSC)' in memoQ v6 completely useless (or not)?
Thread poster: Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:18
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 17, 2012

I just asked this in the memoQ list, but thought I would repost it here just in case there are any people here who do not frequent the list (which I doubt).

Anyway, here it is:
Is anyone actually using the Longest substring concordance (LSC) function in memoQ 6, and if so, can you explain how you are doing it (your settings and any tips or tricks), and anything else I might be missing?

I recently switched it back on again to see if it has improved at all, but I just can't seem to get it to actually come up with anything useful.

Am I right in thinking that it is akin to an automatic bilingual phrase extractor? Kind of like what SynchroTerm 2011 does to TMXs*, e.g., but not as good?

Also, what exactly is the difference between LSC and the assemble function (F4) in memoQ? Does memoQ's assemble use the results of LSC? And one last question: how does 'assemble' in DVX2 relate to all of this?

Michael

* (auto extraction of term pairs from a subsection of the DGT-TM)

Wordbook.nl

Direct link Reply with quote

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
{useless} Oct 18, 2012

A few people on the memoQ list just confirmed my suspicion that it is in fact pretty much useless.

Too bad kilgray can't licence Terminotix's SynchroTerm 2011 term extraction engine, or Déjà Vu's Assemble and DeepMiner technology and build it into memoQ...

Michael

[Edited at 2012-10-18 13:19 GMT]

Olly Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:18
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
terminology extraction Oct 18, 2012

I've been avoiding buying such software because of the hefty price tag. Do you find it's worth the price?

Regards,

olly

Guillaume Chareyron  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:18
German to French
+ ...
Definitely! Oct 18, 2012

Too bad kilgray can't licence Terminotix's SynchroTerm 2011 term extraction engine, or Déjà Vu's Assemble and DeepMiner technology and build it into memoQ...

Jij hebt naar mijn hart gesproken! 

That’s exactly what I think. I do use both DVX et MemoQ and can’t choose which tool is THE one I need: I like a lot of features of MemoQ but really miss Deepminer and AutoAssemble there.

LSC is indeed not really useful, that’s why I am looking for a way to work in MemoQ with the benefits of the subsegments. I thought maybe it would be worth extracting all subsegments from a TM with Synchroterm and then send everything to a TB. Even if there are some noise there, a lot of terms seem to be correct according to my test (I got a demo version of SynchoTerm 2012 two days ago).
The problem is, I can’t test if it’s really worth it with a real project , cause you can only export 20 terms with the demo...

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
...using SynchroTerm to 'hack' memoQ so that it Assembles like Déjà Vu ;) Oct 18, 2012

Guillaume Chareyron wrote:

Jij hebt naar mijn hart gesproken! 

That’s exactly what I think. I do use both DVX et MemoQ and can’t choose which tool is THE one I need: I like a lot of features of MemoQ but really miss Deepminer and AutoAssemble there.

LSC is indeed not really useful, that’s why I am looking for a way to work in MemoQ with the benefits of the subsegments. I thought maybe it would be worth extracting all subsegments from a TM with Synchroterm and then send everything to a TB. Even if there are some noise there, a lot of terms seem to be correct according to my test (I got a demo version of SynchoTerm 2012 two days ago).
The problem is, I can’t test if it’s really worth it with a real project , cause you can only export 20 terms with the demo...

Interesting idea Guillaume! If I have a moment, I will try it with Synchroterm 2011 and report back here.

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is 'longest substring concordance (LSC)' in memoQ v6 completely useless (or not)?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search