Malgorzata Marciniak
Malgorzata Marciniak
Local time: 09:44
English to Polish
+ ...
Oct 18, 2012

Dear colleagues,

I'd like to consult with you about the following:

my task is to check translations for quality. I select the QC againd the TM for this purpose. There is a termbase available for this project which I want to use as well.

What option in memoQ 6 allows me to select the QC settings that enable the check against the selected termbase, please?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience with me.

Best regards,
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I'd like to consult with you about the following:

my task is to check translations for quality. I select the QC againd the TM for this purpose. There is a termbase available for this project which I want to use as well.

What option in memoQ 6 allows me to select the QC settings that enable the check against the selected termbase, please?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience with me.

Best regards,
Malgorzata Marciniak
Collapse

Johan Kjallman
Johan Kjallman  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
It should work with the default settings Oct 19, 2012

Hi Malgorzata,

MemoQ's default behaviour is to check the translation against all selected termbases. You can change the behaviour of the termbase check by clicking Settings and then QA settings (third symbol from the left). You cannot edit the Default settings, so you will have to clone them (or create new ones from scratch). Make sure that the first tick box that appears - Check for consistant use of terminology - is checked.
I'm not sure what you mean with "select th
... See more
Hi Malgorzata,

MemoQ's default behaviour is to check the translation against all selected termbases. You can change the behaviour of the termbase check by clicking Settings and then QA settings (third symbol from the left). You cannot edit the Default settings, so you will have to clone them (or create new ones from scratch). Make sure that the first tick box that appears - Check for consistant use of terminology - is checked.
I'm not sure what you mean with "select the QC againd the TM". If you click Run QA and choose Check translation memory rather than Check documents, the QA check will be performed on the TM, not against it (just in case you have some doubts about that). Or do you refer to the tick boxes in the Consistency tab in the QA settings?

Hope that helps /Johan
Collapse

Malgorzata Marciniak
Malgorzata Marciniak
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
terminology check Oct 23, 2012

Hi Johan,

thank you for getting back to me with the tips about handling QC.
It is a large workload to quality check translations into numerous languages, and I'm seeking advice on how to optimize to standard process, and the standard settings. It's about best practices and the knowledge that comes from using the tool, rather than implementing what the book says, and I'm focusing about the terminology check now, but at the samen time, it is about setting up the project with the
... See more
Hi Johan,

thank you for getting back to me with the tips about handling QC.
It is a large workload to quality check translations into numerous languages, and I'm seeking advice on how to optimize to standard process, and the standard settings. It's about best practices and the knowledge that comes from using the tool, rather than implementing what the book says, and I'm focusing about the terminology check now, but at the samen time, it is about setting up the project with the settings that are favourable for quality check of terminology.
memoQ is a great tool and I like using it. In my position, I'm using it to quality check translations in projects that I didn't set up myself so there are thousands of unnecessary mouse clicks involved, and I can't do much about that.
I was just wondering how to manage terminology check more in a most efficient way.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Malgorzata
Collapse

Johan Kjallman
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Perhaps you should have a look at a proper QA tool? Oct 24, 2012

Hi Malgorzata,

I really enjoy translating in MemoQ, but I'm not particularly fond of the QA check. It's particularly frustrating when working with views (files glued together). It sounds to me like you rather need a program that specializes in quality assurance. Personally I use Verifika since a while back to run a final check on all my MemoQ projects. Before I used to run a final check in the freeware Apsic Xbench, but it doesn't allow you to change the QA parameters, nor can you
... See more
Hi Malgorzata,

I really enjoy translating in MemoQ, but I'm not particularly fond of the QA check. It's particularly frustrating when working with views (files glued together). It sounds to me like you rather need a program that specializes in quality assurance. Personally I use Verifika since a while back to run a final check on all my MemoQ projects. Before I used to run a final check in the freeware Apsic Xbench, but it doesn't allow you to change the QA parameters, nor can you make any corrections from within the program.
One of the great things about Verifika is that you can export the MemoQ project files as xliff files, make all necessary corrections in Verifika, and than re-import the xliff files in MemoQ without loosing any data in the process. In the new version that was released today (1.4) you can even make advanced search and replace operations with regex (for now you con only use regex in the search field, but it should be possible to use also regex replace strings in version 1.5).
Here you will find a couple of other QA programs that Kilgray recommends:
http://kilgray.com/resource-center/external-tools

Having said that, I still do the terminology part of the QA check in MemoQ, as I really like the system with pipes and asterisks. If you prepare your term bases carefully, using also the prefix matching and case sensitivity settings proactively, you can really reduce the false positives to a minimum compared to some other tools.
BR/Johan
Collapse

Johan Kjallman
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Pipes and asterisks in combination with client term base Oct 24, 2012

Hi again,
just one more observation regarding the term base check. MemoQ's system works very well as long as you (or someone else using MemoQ) insert all term base entries properly with pipes and asterisks. If you receive a large volume term base from a client/colleague that doesn't follow this system, quite a few entries may not show up in the translation grid though, as MemoQ does not use a fuzzy algorithm for term base hits. Unless you go through and correct the entries one by one, comp
... See more
Hi again,
just one more observation regarding the term base check. MemoQ's system works very well as long as you (or someone else using MemoQ) insert all term base entries properly with pipes and asterisks. If you receive a large volume term base from a client/colleague that doesn't follow this system, quite a few entries may not show up in the translation grid though, as MemoQ does not use a fuzzy algorithm for term base hits. Unless you go through and correct the entries one by one, compound words and word declinations are likely to cause a lot of false positives in the QA check (the extent depends on your language pairs).

BR/Johan
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

QC setting: against the selected termbase only

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »