https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/235918-can_i_export_tmx_file_in_txt_format_or_how_can_i_check_if_tmx_file_updated.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Can I export TMX file in TXT format - OR how can I check if TMX file updated....?
Thread poster: Theresa Trisolino
Theresa Trisolino
Theresa Trisolino  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:50
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 24, 2012

Hello

I am sorry if this has been covered - I have trawled the internet for the answer and cannot find anything (that makes sense to me).

I am relatively new to CAT tools and am using Memoq trial version.

I have been sent a bilingual document and tmx file from Wordfast - for reviewing. I have imported the file into Memoq (I had to pick the Trados format or something similar?). I have done the review, done the changes, confirmed each segment.... and I am abl
... See more
Hello

I am sorry if this has been covered - I have trawled the internet for the answer and cannot find anything (that makes sense to me).

I am relatively new to CAT tools and am using Memoq trial version.

I have been sent a bilingual document and tmx file from Wordfast - for reviewing. I have imported the file into Memoq (I had to pick the Trados format or something similar?). I have done the review, done the changes, confirmed each segment.... and I am able to export the tmx file out - as a tmx file. But I cannot work out how to be able to check if it has correctly updated all of the changes I have made.

I thought saving it as a txt. file would be a solution but I cannot see if this is a possibility.

Would anyone mind giving me some advice?

Thank you!

Theresa
Collapse

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 03:50
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
importing back and checking Oct 24, 2012

Hi Theresa!

If you want to put your mind at ease, do the following:

- In the top menu, pick Tools > Resource console
- In the left hand menu, pick "Translation Memories" (it is the first item in the list)
- Choose "Create new" in the menu under the list with the TM's to make a new and empty Translation memory; name it "test", for example
- With the "test" TM highlighted, pick "Import from tmx/csv", locate your tmx file and click "ok"
- You are t
... See more
Hi Theresa!

If you want to put your mind at ease, do the following:

- In the top menu, pick Tools > Resource console
- In the left hand menu, pick "Translation Memories" (it is the first item in the list)
- Choose "Create new" in the menu under the list with the TM's to make a new and empty Translation memory; name it "test", for example
- With the "test" TM highlighted, pick "Import from tmx/csv", locate your tmx file and click "ok"
- You are then back in the menu with the TM highlighted. Pick "Edit" from the options under the list. Click "ok"
- You will then get a view of your TM (created from the tmx you are checking). You can go through the entries in that view and check if your changes have been implemented.

If needed, you can also make changes in there and export it back to a new tmx file. If everything is ok, then you will know that the tmx you had created is ok.

This is probably the "long way round", but it works for me.

By the way, there also is quite an active Yahoo Group where you can get MemoQ support - check out http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MemoQ/.
Collapse

Theresa Trisolino
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you - no update! Further advice requested.... Oct 24, 2012

Thank you so much Steven.
Very clear - and I saw what I needed.

My TMX had NOT updated.....:(

Could I bother you once more?

I imported the bilingual file and made changes.... and didn't import the TMX file until after.... But after importing the tmx file, I then confirmed the segments one by one and hoped that it would update.

Can you help?

I feel like I should be paying for this step by step!! It is really appreciated....

Sophie Govaere McConnell
Sophie Govaere McConnell
France
Local time: 02:50
Member (2008)
English to French
Statistics Oct 24, 2012

Hi,

I think you can try to go to Statistics. There's an option there to export the translation memory for the file you've just reviewed. You can export it to the translation memory that's opened or to a new one.
Best of luck with everything!

Sophie

Sophie Govaere McConnell
Sophie Govaere McConnell
France
Member (2008)
English to French
Details Oct 24, 2012

Sorry, I guess you'd need more details so it's:
In the menu bar, Operations>Statistics
Under the Analysis part on the right, tick "Create project TM" then click on Calculate
Then you can click on Project TM on the right and choose if you want to export it to a new file or to the existing TM.
Hope it helps...
Sophie

[Edited at 2012-10-24 18:57 GMT]

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TM needs to be connected to a project Oct 24, 2012

You're welcome, Theresa.

A TM needs to be attached to a project before it is actually used, so your problem might be there.

Please go into your project and check "translation memories" in the left hand menu. A list will appear with all your TM's. The ones that are used for the project are checked, and one of them is marked as "primary". The primary one is where the changes are made; the others are used
... See more
You're welcome, Theresa.

A TM needs to be attached to a project before it is actually used, so your problem might be there.

Please go into your project and check "translation memories" in the left hand menu. A list will appear with all your TM's. The ones that are used for the project are checked, and one of them is marked as "primary". The primary one is where the changes are made; the others are used for matching (but are not updated when a change is made).

From what you are writing, I imagine that you have created a TM for the project and, after adding the tmx later on, have not attached that one to the project. If that is right, the TM from the tmx is not checked in the list.

If it is, make sure it is marked as "primary". You can make a TM "primary" by ticking the checkbox and then clicking in the blank spot in the column "primary". You'll see it jump to the top of the list.

After that, go back in the document and re-confirm all your segments again. This should make the necessary changes in the TM you are trying to amend.
Collapse

Theresa Trisolino
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Statistics Oct 24, 2012

THANK YOU Sophie.

I did this - and then I went through Steven's steps again and I think I am there!

Thanks again - you have saved me.

Theresa

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
A new trick Oct 24, 2012

Thanks Sophie!

Theresa Trisolino
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Attaching TM file Oct 24, 2012

Thanks for follow up Steven.
Checking it all now!

Theresa Trisolino
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Attaching TM file.... Oct 24, 2012

Hello Steven

So - originally it wasn't obviously attached.
Then I did as per Sophie - and managed to update the TMX file.
Now I have made one change.... and wanted to do the same again but this time I didn't have the option in 'statistics'.
So - I went back to TMs and made sure my now 'test2' is attached, as primary, to the file (and it was when I did the last change). I looked at it in 'edit' and it had not updated the last change.

Am I missing somet
... See more
Hello Steven

So - originally it wasn't obviously attached.
Then I did as per Sophie - and managed to update the TMX file.
Now I have made one change.... and wanted to do the same again but this time I didn't have the option in 'statistics'.
So - I went back to TMs and made sure my now 'test2' is attached, as primary, to the file (and it was when I did the last change). I looked at it in 'edit' and it had not updated the last change.

Am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks
Theresa
Collapse

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Can't tell Oct 24, 2012

I just tried to reproduce this and I'm not sure why the option "create project TM" would not be available. But the fact that it is at my end of course doesn't help you...

The only thing I can think of is that you might have forgotten to commit the change, but of course, I can't tell from here. I would suggest, for now, to edit the TM directly so that you can send out the project. That way, you can take a good look at it again in peace afterwards.

CAT tools take some g
... See more
I just tried to reproduce this and I'm not sure why the option "create project TM" would not be available. But the fact that it is at my end of course doesn't help you...

The only thing I can think of is that you might have forgotten to commit the change, but of course, I can't tell from here. I would suggest, for now, to edit the TM directly so that you can send out the project. That way, you can take a good look at it again in peace afterwards.

CAT tools take some getting used to. I personally feel MemoQ is pretty easy and logical to learn, but it gets more usable the better one understands what all the options do.
Collapse

Theresa Trisolino
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Probably user error! Oct 24, 2012

Thanks again.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Just open it Oct 25, 2012

All this rummaging around in menus and generating this and that seems superfluous to me. TMX is a text format. You can just open the tmx file in a text editor like notepad and see what's in it. Pick a sentence that you know you have modified and find it in the tmx.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that your client will want a bilingual file back from you, not the TMX. The TMX is not necessarily sufficient to generate a final translated file. They'll need the corrected bilingual file for
... See more
All this rummaging around in menus and generating this and that seems superfluous to me. TMX is a text format. You can just open the tmx file in a text editor like notepad and see what's in it. Pick a sentence that you know you have modified and find it in the tmx.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that your client will want a bilingual file back from you, not the TMX. The TMX is not necessarily sufficient to generate a final translated file. They'll need the corrected bilingual file for that. How you can extract that file from MQ is an issue I'll leave to more experienced MQ users.
Collapse

Theresa Trisolino
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
When I open it..... Oct 25, 2012

Thank you.

When I did as per Steven - copied it into the TM in Memoq (most recently named Test2) - all of the segments are there, translated.

When I open it (and thank you - I didn't realise I just had to pick notepad for ex) - it is NOT at all what I was expecting - and doesn't look like the original TMX that I was sent with the bilingual file.....

Rather than lines of SL to TL - there is the following before each line of text.....

Teres
... See more
Thank you.

When I did as per Steven - copied it into the TM in Memoq (most recently named Test2) - all of the segments are there, translated.

When I open it (and thank you - I didn't realise I just had to pick notepad for ex) - it is NOT at all what I was expecting - and doesn't look like the original TMX that I was sent with the bilingual file.....

Rather than lines of SL to TL - there is the following before each line of text.....

Teresa

no
no

So I don't know if this is what the client will want....

Regarding delivering the bilingual files - clean and unclean - luckily the Memoq manual does very clearly explain how to do that and I did that OK!

Thank you
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
extra stuff Oct 25, 2012

Theresa Trisolino wrote:

Thank you.

<prop type="client">Teresa</prop>
<prop type="project"> </prop>
<prop type="domain"> </prop>
<prop type="subject"> </prop>
<prop type="corrected">no</prop>
<prop type="aligned">no</prop>

So I don't know if this is what the client will want....

Regarding delivering the bilingual files - clean and unclean - luckily the Memoq manual does very clearly explain how to do that and I did that OK!

Thank you

The extra bits in there are of no importance. This is extra metadata that MQ adds. If the agency uses MQ, it may show up, otherwise it'll probably be ignored when they import the TMX into their TM (depending on what settings they use). If the TMX contains the text as you corrected it in MQ, it should be fine. Again, if you're not sure that the TMX was updated, just find a sentence that you know you corrected and make sure that your changes are reflected in the TMX.
Note that if you send them the bilingual file, they can use it to update their TM. Strictly speaking, they don't need a TMX from you at all. They might want one anyway for convenience, of course.

[Edited at 2012-10-25 10:33 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I export TMX file in TXT format - OR how can I check if TMX file updated....?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »