Thread poster: Elena Pavan
XX789 (X)
XX789 (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:44
English to Dutch
+ ...
MemoQ all the way Oct 26, 2012

Trados is a toy. MemoQ is for the real men among us. For example, it supports RegEx for writing your own import filters, segmentation rules, auto-translation rules and tagging rules. No other tool has that.

If you don't know what RegEx is... with all due respect, you need a toy, and not a tool.

[Edited at 2012-10-26 05:21 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
You also need to learn more about tools you criticise..! Oct 26, 2012

Loek van Kooten wrote:

Trados is a toy. MemoQ is for the real men among us. For example, it supports RegEx for writing your own import filters, segmentation rules, auto-translation rules and tagging rules. No other tool has that.

If you don't know what RegEx is... with all due respect, you need a toy, and not a tool.

[Edited at 2012-10-26 05:21 GMT]

Studio supports regex for writing your own import filters, segmentation rules and tagging rules. Doesn't have this for auto-translation rules because so much is already built in... but this is a feature I like in memoQ and would like to see this in Studio too for handling things Studio doesn't recognise.

In fact the old Trados could do some of this too... so using Regex is nothing new.

If you want a tool for real men maybe you should try DVX where you can play with SQL too... compared to the things you can do with this everyone else has toys..!

Regards

Paul

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Depends... Oct 26, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:

... One very real reason to get memoQ instead of Studio is ... MultiTerm.

In memoQ, your term base is built right into your CAT tool – where it belongs.

If you want more flexible and complex termbases then MultiTerm is the reason to get Studio because memoQ cannot provide for this.

If you only want simple glossaries, with some additional functionality then memoQ does make this easy (so I guess this is what you are referring to). But having said this, if you know what you're doing and with the creation of tools available on the OpenExchange, making use of simple glossaries in Studio is a doddle.

Regards

Paul

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
OpenExchange - Tools for Sissies :-))) Oct 26, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:
Just out of curiosity, can you name one of those things?

As you probably know MemoQ better than me, just have a look here:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/

Loek van Koten wrote:
Trados is a toy. MemoQ is for the real men among us.

I love it, what a statement - reminds me of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Men

Real men use real tools such as hammers and nails, spades and axes. I actually prefer tools for sissies like electric drills, or radial arm saws and the like.

[Edited at 2012-10-26 06:57 GMT]

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 10:44
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Weird taste :-) Oct 26, 2012

You have a weird taste when it comes to movies, Siegfried.

After about two pages, my answer to the original question (which was about buying MemoQ in addition to, not replacing, Studio) is still the same: there are (as far as I know) no shocking functionalities in one tool that the other doesn't offer. I think many of us decide based on personal taste and ease of getting things done, instead of the possibility of get
... See more

After about two pages, my answer to the original question (which was about buying MemoQ in addition to, not replacing, Studio) is still the same: there are (as far as I know) no shocking functionalities in one tool that the other doesn't offer. I think many of us decide based on personal taste and ease of getting things done, instead of the possibility of getting them done.
Collapse

Guillaume Chareyron
Guillaume Chareyron  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Difficult to be objective Oct 26, 2012

each of us has his/her tool of choice and know better this tool than other ones.
My preference goes to memoQ cause I find it easier to use and more intuitive than Studio, in which you have to click here and there to make simple things.
I’ll stop the comparison here cause I don’t use enough studio yet to be really objective.

Anyway, as I see, and I noticed it several times elsewhere, when you ask a trados user what are the main benefits of Studio, the answer is quit
... See more
each of us has his/her tool of choice and know better this tool than other ones.
My preference goes to memoQ cause I find it easier to use and more intuitive than Studio, in which you have to click here and there to make simple things.
I’ll stop the comparison here cause I don’t use enough studio yet to be really objective.

Anyway, as I see, and I noticed it several times elsewhere, when you ask a trados user what are the main benefits of Studio, the answer is quite often OpenExchange! Means, the user community seems to make the difference. That’s good actually, probably a good way to go, for other tools too.
Collapse

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
The war is over Oct 26, 2012

Steven Segaert wrote:

After about two pages, my answer to the original question (which was about buying MemoQ in addition to, not replacing, Studio) is still the same: there are (as far as I know) no shocking functionalities in one tool that the other doesn't offer. I think many of us decide based on personal taste and ease of getting things done, instead of the possibility of getting them done.

I absolutely agree with you on this one. For example, I prefer Trados just for very subjective reasons. I like the user interface, I like OpenExchange and I love the SDL/Trados support, which I find extremly responsive and helpful (I know there are a lot having a different opinion). I tried MemoQ and I did not love it. Purely subjective. In my opinion both tools are professional tools and it is actually a good thing that MemoQ is a good piece of software, it got the SDL/Trados truck moving.

But the war is over, both tools can more or less be used for the same type of projects, there is a lot of compatibility between the tools. Just try them both and go for the one you like most.

[Edited at 2012-10-26 07:34 GMT]

Elena Pavan
Elena Pavan  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 26, 2012

Thank you everyone for your answers.
And thank you Steven for your precision in your last post. Actually, I already have Studio and I am quite satisfied with it. The only reason why I consider buying MemoQ is that a good client of mine has just bought MQ, is very satisfied with it and is going to work with it. If MQ is really going to bring something "more" to my activity, I can buy it. But if the two systems are similar and we can keep working together without problems (@Loek: I am not a
... See more
Thank you everyone for your answers.
And thank you Steven for your precision in your last post. Actually, I already have Studio and I am quite satisfied with it. The only reason why I consider buying MemoQ is that a good client of mine has just bought MQ, is very satisfied with it and is going to work with it. If MQ is really going to bring something "more" to my activity, I can buy it. But if the two systems are similar and we can keep working together without problems (@Loek: I am not an expert, I use it as a toy...), I think I will stick to my Studio and save some money.
Thank you again!!
Elena
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TermStar for the real complex term bases Oct 26, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

If you want more flexible and complex termbases

And for the real complex termbases, you should get TermStar.

http://tools.telecampus.ch/Downloads/Technische-Dokumentation/Transit_TermStar_NXT_Benutzerhandbuch/ts_eng_userguide.pdf

VIP9N
VIP9N
Local time: 11:44
Russian to English
+ ...
save some money - what about your time? Oct 26, 2012

Sorting rows in different combinations, also finding any word or expression simply by selecting it and pressing Shift-Ctrl+F, also merging files at any time of project implementation (not just at the stage of project creation) - determined my choice - MemoQ. The legal texts have to be consistent in terminology. When in Trados, I had to compile lists of terms for such or such document, and when a document is large - a 180-page Facility Agreement, for example, it was a real pain to check them all... See more
Sorting rows in different combinations, also finding any word or expression simply by selecting it and pressing Shift-Ctrl+F, also merging files at any time of project implementation (not just at the stage of project creation) - determined my choice - MemoQ. The legal texts have to be consistent in terminology. When in Trados, I had to compile lists of terms for such or such document, and when a document is large - a 180-page Facility Agreement, for example, it was a real pain to check them all the time. In Memo I just select the word and press Shift-Ctrl+F - and I see all instances (segments) of it in the text. It saves plenty of time, you know.

Also, the term machine - in Studio it's a real hippopotamus to set it along with the main application, in Memo - it's a quick fox-terrier always ready to go and listening to your orders.

Something like that
Collapse

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
MemoQ wins Oct 26, 2012

I have worked extensively with both Trados 2009 and MemoQ, and MemoQ wins hands down.
I am just a freelance translator working in a single pair, so my experience is limited to working on a single combination, with one or two TMs and a glossary (terminology). I am not pro nor a "real men", just someone who needs to get things done fast and with little effort.

I love in MemoQ that it shows the differences between source and target in a clearer way than any other CAT tool (includ
... See more
I have worked extensively with both Trados 2009 and MemoQ, and MemoQ wins hands down.
I am just a freelance translator working in a single pair, so my experience is limited to working on a single combination, with one or two TMs and a glossary (terminology). I am not pro nor a "real men", just someone who needs to get things done fast and with little effort.

I love in MemoQ that it shows the differences between source and target in a clearer way than any other CAT tool (including Wordfast Pro, which is the one I use the most). It shows in red the words that should be removed [compared to your previous translation] and in blue the ones that should be added [to be translated]. While the purple is used to highlight change of capitalization (I don't notice it immediately, though, as dark purple and black are very similar on screen).

I love that it is able to join and merge source segments in a single click (CTRL+j to join them, CTRL+T to split them).

Also, I think Trados Editor view is kind of messy compared to MemoQ's, but you can customize that, anyway.
I love the possibility to run a quality check across the whole project in MemoQ, as well as the find/replace function that can work on one file, all open files or the whole project. I am not sure if Trados has this function - I bet it does, but I haven't found it yet.

I use MemoQ with one agency, only, but for large projects (min 10k words per project) and I prefer it over Trados.
Sadly, I don't have the choice on the CAT tool to be used since they are "imposed" by the translation agency I work for from time to time.

So, Trados might do more things than MemoQ, but on a basic level I don't think those are issues you should care about. MemoQ is very quick to learn and understand, it is very intuitive, while Trados requires some training.

However the CAT interexchangeability stops when you have to use online resources, for example remote TMs or remote projects. In this case you'll need the specific CAT tool the project/TM was created for.

That's my experience.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
MT Oct 26, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:

You would be surprised at how many translators buy Studio only to then wonder why they can't figure out how to add words to the glossary or do anything even remotely complicated in terms of glossary management. One very real reason to get memoQ instead of Studio is ... MultiTerm.

In memoQ, your term base is built right into your CAT tool – where it belongs.

Michael

I don't understand this post. MT is in Studio. There's also a standalone MT desktop software, but you don't need that when you're translating in Studio. It's for when you want to look up terms or manage termbases outside of Studio.

Adding a term to MT in Studio involves (after creating a termbase and adding it to the project):
- Selecting the source language term and the target language term in the editor
- Pressing the "add term" keyboard shortcut, which you can set in Tools/Options/Keyboard Shortcuts
- Saving the term and closing the term editing window

Do you mean that users are unable to figure this out? If they are, they are going to have problems with any CAT tool.

Now, importing term lists into glossaries is another matter. MultiTerm Convert is an inexcusable mess. Now there's some progress on that with an OpenExchange app that offers a simplified process but it's hardly a full solution.

XX789 (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
To SDL Support Oct 26, 2012

Hi SDL!

I want to learn, because I love toys myself, as long as they are big

Not too many months ago, a client of mine who had just bought Trados was forced to switch to MemoQ after Trados Support told him that defining segmentation with RegEx was *not* possible, or at least not to the extent he wanted.

Is it possible something changed since then?

XX789 (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
P.S. Oct 26, 2012

I have been using DVX for years, but lost trust in this software after development had been halted for about 6 years or so.

The SQL was a great feature, but unfortunately the database tables were so illogical and complex that in practise, you had to write to Support for every single query you needed.

[Edited at 2012-10-26 11:27 GMT]

XX789 (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Also... Oct 26, 2012

Also, can Trados change stuff to tags *after* document import, i.e. on-the-fly?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ vs. Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »