International Translation Day 2018

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event September 25-26th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Thread poster: Linh Hoang

Linh Hoang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 22:49
Member (2011)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Nov 1, 2012

My client provides me an ID and password and his server URL (5.0). I've download MemoQ 5.0 (not yet purchased license) from Kigray's site. I wonder:

1- if I can log-in and use the MemoQ without purchasing my own license for my PC? Or I must obtain a license for logging in and use the resources from such server?

2 - Can I use lower version (say 4.5) to log and use this server?

Thanks for your support in advance.

Cheers,

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:49
Finnish to French
Trial version should be sufficient, versions must match Nov 1, 2012

Linh Hoang wrote:
My client provides me an ID and password and his server URL (5.0). I've download MemoQ 5.0 (not yet purchased license) from Kigray's site. I wonder:

1- if I can log-in and use the MemoQ without purchasing my own license for my PC? Or I must obtain a license for logging in and use the resources from such server?

As long as the trial period (45 days) hasn't expired, you should be able to access the server.

Linh Hoang wrote:
2 - Can I use lower version (say 4.5) to log and use this server?

No, the client and server major versions must match.

Vietnam
Member (2011)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
license must be obtained upon trial period? Nov 2, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

As long as the trial period (45 days) hasn't expired, you should be able to access the server.

Thank Dominique for your feedback. As I understand, license must be obtained after such trial period (45 days)? As few of clients use MemoQ, I have not scheluded to purchase one. Is there any possible solution to continue access to the server, (for example, asking client to provide license)?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
mobile licenses Nov 2, 2012

Linh Hoang wrote:
As I understand, license must be obtained after such trial period (45 days)?

Yes, that's the idea: if you want to continue using it in full-featured mode after the trial period has expired, you need to have a license. After the 45 days, memoQ switches to "memoQ4free" mode, in which it has very limited capabilities (for instance, you can't use it to connect to a server).

Linh Hoang wrote:
As few of clients use MemoQ, I have not scheluded to purchase one. Is there any possible solution to continue access to the server, (for example, asking client to provide license)?

Some users of memoQ server (typically agencies) have "mobile" licenses that they can lend for the duration of a project. You should ask your memoQ clients whether they have such licenses and whether they would be willing to lend you one during forthcoming projects.

Vietnam
Member (2011)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much Nov 6, 2012

[/quote]
Some users of memoQ server (typically agencies) have "mobile" licenses that they can lend for the duration of a project. You should ask your memoQ clients whether they have such licenses and whether they would be willing to lend you one during forthcoming projects. [/quote]

Highly appreciate your advice. I'll ask my client if they can lend the mobile license. It would be great if they do so.

Zeki Güler  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 16:49
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Own licence and trial version together? Mar 8, 2016

Hi,

A new client requested me to download trial version and use memoq server with the credentials they will give me, which means that I will have two memoQ apps on my desktop.

Would it cause any problem? Is there anything to pay attention in this process?

Thanks

Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Turkey
German to Turkish
+ ...
@zeki guler - no need to have two copies Mar 9, 2016

Your client may not be aware of the fact that you actually have your own copy. No need for two copies (I am not sure whether this is possible at all). You will have 2 accounts.
For your other projects you continue using your own copy as usual. For their projects, you need to log in using the user info they'll provide.
Elif

[Edited at 2016-03-09 06:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-09 06:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search