Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:04
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nov 26, 2012

G'day everyone

I have a MemoQ two-colum RTF file in which I have to translate the second column. I notice that whenever text is in bold or italics and there are mqInternal tags around such bolded or italicised text, the opening-tag is also bold or italic. Is that important? Should the tag be bolded or italicised in my translation as well, or is it sufficient that the text between the tags is bold or italic?

I mean, if this is the source text:

...and this is the target text:

...is it vital that the brown tags preceding the formatted text have the same formatting as the text it precedes? If all my brown tags are non-bold and non-italic, will MemoQ import this file correctly? Or, if both the tag before the text and the tag after the text is made bold or italic, will that affect the MemoQ import?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Style name/definition matters Nov 26, 2012

Kilgray should have the last word on it, but I think it's the style name and definition that matters.

In such tables what is important is that you keep the rows/cells and neither merge nor split them.

If there are tag formatting errors in the table you deliver, your client will still be able to refine them in MemoQ.

Regards,

Piotr

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Piotr Nov 26, 2012

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:
If there are tag formatting errors in the table you deliver, your client will still be able to refine them in MemoQ.

If there are tag formatting errors, the client will send the table back to me to fix it. I want to avoid this, if possible, but not creating tag formatting errors in the first place.

Besides, if the client doesn't understand the target language, he would not be able to fix errors himself.

Piotr Bienkowski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Let's test Nov 26, 2012

You can send me a short MemoQ table where the tag isn't made in bold, and another version where the curly bracket tags are in tw4winInternal so we can test how memoQ likes both/either case.

I can use the import bilingual function to import the RTF table(s) into MemoQ and see how they behave.

PB

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re the test Nov 26, 2012

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:
You can send me a short MemoQ table where the tag isn't made in bold, and another version where the curly bracket tags are in tw4winInternal so we can test how memoQ likes both/either case.

Thanks, but... shouldn't one start with a MemoQ file first? I don't have MemoQ myself, and my client sent me the table, so I can create a dummy table, but what are you going to import it into? (-: Or can you import a two-column table into nothing in MemoQ?

Piotr Bienkowski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Well... Nov 26, 2012

I thought that MemoQ can import its RTF bilingual file even if it does not have the corresponding MemoQ file. Maybe I am wrong. But we will not know for sure without trying.

PB

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another question about mqInternal

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »