Help!!!! Concentrate on TM (Translation memory or TB Term base?
Thread poster: Michelle Kusuda

Michelle Kusuda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 24, 2012

For those of you who have used MemoQ for quite a while. I was wondering, if I wanted to input most terms from my glossaries, would it be best to input them in the Translation Memory editor or into a Term base editor?

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of Translation Memory entries one can enter? Is there a limit to the number of Term Base entries?

I guess what I am trying to do is use every available moment possible to enter as many terms as possible so that while I am working on a translation the term appears on the right side of the screen almost like an online dictionary?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Michelle

[Edited at 2012-12-24 17:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-12-24 18:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-12-24 19:27 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:50
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Termbases for terms, TMs for translations Dec 24, 2012

In my opinion your best bet is to enter the terms in termbases, since they will not only help you at translation time (by means of predictive typing or double-clicking the terms): they also help you QA your work by comparing it with your termbases (with the Run QA feature).

After three years of use we in the office haven't seen any noticeable loss in performance based on the size of termbases or translation memories. The actual limit could well be your computer's storage capacity. There must of course be some theoretical size limit, but it must be ludicrously high.

[Edited at 2012-12-24 18:45 GMT]

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your reply. Dec 24, 2012

Do you create a Term base per client/ subject? Feel free to send any tips my way!

Thanks again!

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:50
German to English
+ ...
RTM Dec 25, 2012

I agree with Tomás.

In memoQ you can read from and write to more than one TM, including plugin TMs, the results from which are displayed in the same window but somewhat differently.

The same applies to termbases and you can of course also generate these on a customer/project basis or generically (e.g. marketing, software etc). Termbase references appear in a different window.

Organization is one of the few aspects that can be complicated in memoQ. Here I recommend that you beg, borrow, steal or purchase a copy of well-known memoQ authority Kevin Lossner’s excellent book http://www.translationtribulations.com/2012/11/e-book-release-memoq-6-in-quick-steps.html.

The manner in which the book inter alia tackles project organization is praised by Kilgray joint founder István Lengyel in his blog post of November 11 http://kilgray.blogspot.co.uk/.

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you and one more question. Dec 26, 2012

If I spend the time creating term bases "TB"s from my specialized glossaries, then I start a translation and want MemoQ to replace all the 100% matches, I think with the auto-propagation tool, will it work better if those glossaries are in TMs or in TBs?

Thank you both for taking the time to reply! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas Day!

Prog Trans
Bulgaria
Local time: 00:50
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TM or Termbase Jan 18, 2013

Michelle Kusuda wrote:

If I spend the time creating term bases "TB"s from my specialized glossaries, then I start a translation and want MemoQ to replace all the 100% matches, I think with the auto-propagation tool, will it work better if those glossaries are in TMs or in TBs?

Thank you both for taking the time to reply! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas Day!

Most probably you have already found the answer to your question by now.

In my book "glossaries" inequivocably mean "termbases" based on my extensive experience with OmegaT and Swordfish, so my line of behaviour is the same in terms of memoQ.

Convert them boldly and no worriesicon_smile.gif

If you have any further questions on the ways of converting, don't hesitate to ask.

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Michelle's question still hasn't really been answered. May 10, 2013

I stumbled across this thread because I was wondering about the same thing today. My usual system in memoQ is to add terms and phrases to my TB as I translate. However, I was wondering about the long-term results of this behaviour, versus saving these fragments in a TM. The reason I ask is that my main TB already contains 600,000 entries, and I was just wondering about what would be better (both in the long term, and in terms of F4 assembling): having all that stuff in TBs or in TMs.

Michael

Michelle wrote: If I spend the time creating term bases "TB"s from my specialized glossaries, then I start a translation and want MemoQ to replace all the 100% matches, I think with the auto-propagation tool, will it work better if those glossaries are in TMs or in TBs?

Shankaran Viswanathan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:20
French to English
+ ...
F4 assembling May 11, 2013

What is this about? I have seen references to it but never found out much. It is my fault, I have not studied the manual or gone for training, but I am able to use the software without problem, hats off Kilgray !

Vishwa
Dehradun
India

P.S. Can anyone tell me what the name 'Kilgray' stands for?

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Fragment assembly in memoQ & storing terms in TBs vs TMs May 11, 2013

Hi Shankaran,

This is what Help has to say about assembling/F4:

Fragment Assembly

When you have a long source segment, and there is no hit from the translation memories, memoQ can look for smaller parts of this segment in the translation memories and term bases assigned to the project. If there are shorter segments stored in the translation memories or the term bases (along with their translations), memoQ can attempt to look for smaller parts (fragments) of your long source segment, and insert their translations into the target segment. This is done automatically: when you move to a segment, and memoQ searches the translation memories and term bases, the “patchwork” matches, or fragment matches, if there are any, will automatically appear on the hit list.

By default, the fragment matches appear on the hit list in purple color, always after the translation memory and term base matches. You can navigate to those hits just like any other TM or TB hit, then use Ctrl+Space to insert them. Alternatively, you can double-click the purple block of the hit on the list, or hold down Ctrl, and press the number (if there is one – the first 9 hits are numbered.).

And to get back to my question of whether Michelle's question has been answered yet, I think I might have solved it.

I did a little testing myself just now in a new, empty target segment. I first came up with a translation. Then, I cut it up into segments and sent these to a TM. I divided the entire segment up into fragments such as 'lokale autoriteiten' = 'local authorities' and 'gelegen in het' = 'located in the', etc., and then saved these in a new TM. I then cleared the target segment and reentered it and clicked F4. Hmm. Not very impressive. Sometimes memoQ seems to find the pieces stored in my TM, but more often than not it doesn't.

Now for the second part of my test. I cleared the target box, and disconnected the TM with my test fragments. I then saved the same fragments as before, but this time in a termbase. I then clicked F4 again. This time, the target segment is almost perfectly assembled, and every one of my saved pairs has been used.

From this very basic test I conclude that it is better to send terms to a termbase (glossary) than to a TM.

There are also other advantages to storing terms in TBs rather than TMs. One of these is that you can store certain forms of metadata that you cannot store in TMs, such as definitions, usage examples, etc. A second reason is that you can easily enter synonyms for source or target terms, which can come in very handy.

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help!!!! Concentrate on TM (Translation memory or TB Term base?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search