Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:17
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 18, 2013

Hello, colleagues:

I wanted to import a DOC file in MemoQ to start its translation, but I couldn't do it. Can you help me to solve it, please?

I could import the file after copy pasting it into a TXT file but I wanted to use the DOC. Thank you in advance!

This is the error I got using a DOC,DOCX and RTF file:

General error.
TYPE:
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException

Se produjo una excepción en el destino de la invocación.

SOURCE:
mscorlib

CALL STACK:
en System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandle& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
en System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean fillCache)
en System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean fillCache)
en System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
en System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
en System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
en System.Reflection.Assembly.CreateInstance(String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
en MemoQ.DocConverterFramework.DocumentConverterFactory.ConverterCache.GetDocConverter(PredicateWithParam`1 predicate, Object param)
en MemoQ.DocConverterFramework.DocumentConverterFactory.GetConverter(String filePath)
en MemoQ.DocConverterFramework.BasicImportExaminer`1.DoJob()
en MemoQ.Common.Job.JobBase.Execute(Object o)
------------------ Inner exception ------------------

TYPE:
System.Exception

SOURCE:
MemoQ.DocConverters.DOCX

CALL STACK:
en MemoQ.DocConverters.DOCX.DOCXConverterConfiguration..ctor()
en MemoQ.DocConverters.MSWord.MSWordConverterConfiguration..ctor(Boolean hasitags, Boolean bilingualRtf)
en MemoQ.DocConverters.MSWord.MSWordConverter..ctor()
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The operation has been completed with some errors.

Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 21:17
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Try docx Mar 18, 2013

Hi there!

I'm not with MQ support (which you probably should contact anyway), but please try to import your document as docx (not doc).

If that doesn't help, you can get around MSWord by using the "aspose" option.

Hope this helps!

Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:17
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
open file Mar 18, 2013

Did you make sure the file you're importing is not open? If it is, memoQ will not be able to access it and will throw an error.

Maybe this helps.

Best wishes,
Michal

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is it really a DOC? Mar 18, 2013

Can you open it natively with Microsoft Word with no conversion? It could also be file exported from another non-native platform, for instance Open Office or something. Open the file in Microsoft Word and resave to remove that component of doubt.

István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
reinstall Mar 18, 2013

Hi Yaotl,

It seems your memoQ installation got damaged. Just uninstall the tool, delete everything under C:/Program Files/Kilgray, and reinstall it.

István

Carl Carter
Germany
German to English
Problem with your DOCX filter? Mar 18, 2013

Morning Yaotl,

I hope you've managed to sort the issue out by now, but if not, I'd recommend you to contact Support at Kilgray, like Steven said, as they are really the ones who provide technical support. However, since the error message you got says

"MESSAGE:
Builtin config missing for DOCX filter",

it seems something's wrong with memoQ's DOCX filter, so you could do one of several things yourself: (a) uninstall memoQ and then re-install it so the filter gets installed properly and/or (b) update to the latest build of memoQ just in case this is a bug.

You don't say what version of memoQ you're using, but the current one is 6.2.12, which works well and has no trouble importing DOC or DOCX files.

If this doesn't work for you (which it ought to), then try using the Aspose filter. And if none of these things work, do as Tomás advised and open and re-save your source file
and then try again.

Regards

Carl

Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not open Mar 18, 2013

Michal Glowacki wrote:

Did you make sure the file you're importing is not open? If it is, memoQ will not be able to access it and will throw an error.

Maybe this helps.

Best wishes,
Michal

No, Michael, the file was not being used by other programs.

Thank you and best wishes too!

Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Native Mar 18, 2013

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Can you open it natively with Microsoft Word with no conversion? It could also be file exported from another non-native platform, for instance Open Office or something. Open the file in Microsoft Word and resave to remove that component of doubt.

Hello, Tomás.

Yes, it is a Microsoft Word file and I can open it natively with it. As a matter of fact, I could open it with SDL Trados 2011 without problems.

Thank you!

Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Mar 18, 2013

István Lengyel wrote:

Hi Yaotl,

It seems your memoQ installation got damaged. Just uninstall the tool, delete everything under C:/Program Files/Kilgray, and reinstall it.

István

It seems that will be the solution as it's doing the same with all my Word files ...

Thank you, István.

Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Version Mar 18, 2013

Carl Carter wrote:

Morning Yaotl,

I hope you've managed to sort the issue out by now, but if not, I'd recommend you to contact Support at Kilgray, like Steven said, as they are really the ones who provide technical support. However, since the error message you got says

"MESSAGE:
Builtin config missing for DOCX filter",

it seems something's wrong with memoQ's DOCX filter, so you could do one of several things yourself: (a) uninstall memoQ and then re-install it so the filter gets installed properly and/or (b) update to the latest build of memoQ just in case this is a bug.

You don't say what version of memoQ you're using, but the current one is 6.2.12, which works well and has no trouble importing DOC or DOCX files.

If this doesn't work for you (which it ought to), then try using the Aspose filter. And if none of these things work, do as Tomás advised and open and re-save your source file
and then try again.

Regards

Carl

Hello, Carl.

I am using version 6.0.15

Thank you for your help (you too, dear Steven).

Nice week.

István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
6.0.15 Mar 18, 2013

Hi Yaotl,

Another recommendation I'd have is to upgrade to the latest build of memoQ 6.0 by downloading it from our website - or if you have an active support and upgrade period, even better to 6.2. After 6.0.15 we did not have autoupdate for a while, and some users got stuck with that version - but there's a way better 6.0 available from http://www.kilgray.com/downloads.

István

Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Useful Mar 28, 2013

Thank you, colleagues.

I reinstalled MemoQ (version 6.0) and it's fine now! Thank you.

Azman Salleh  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 02:17
Member (2010)
English to Malay
+ ...
Procedure before removing/reinstall Apr 21, 2013

Hi Yaotl/Istvan,
I got the same error this morning.
In my case, I'd installed 6.2 on top of existing 6.0 2 weeks ago.
Only last night I decided to remove 6.0.

This morning I get the same error trying to import a regular docx file.

Any specific procedure you did before removing MemoQ, particularly to keep old projects?

Thank you,
Azman

István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
KnowledgeBase Apr 21, 2013

Hi Azman,

Please paste the error message to http://kb.kilgray.com, but I think an uninstall - delete Program Files / Kilgray - reinstall will help. Your data are safe, it is stored elsewhere, not in Program Files, so an uninstall does not damage it.

István

Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same version. Apr 21, 2013

Azman, I have version 6.0.15, then I deleted it and reinstall Memo Q with a higher version (6.2), but didn't work. It worked with the correct version, 6.0 in my case.

Aren't you doing the same I tried? This is, upgrading the version?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ conversion

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search