managing files in a large project
Thread poster: big_fish

big_fish  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Apr 17, 2013

Hello,
I'm in a middle of a large project with dozens of files.
I find it quite difficult to manage the in memoq as they all have similar names (several different models of the same car make). After adding files for the fifth model I find the only reliable way I can tell one from another (model) is by tracing the path on the disk.
The question:
Is there any other friendly way to confidently and reliably manage files in a multi-file project?
I don't want to remove old files or create another project.
I will appreciate any suggestions how to go about it.
Thank you.
Krzysztof

Radu Nicolaescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 01:03
Member (2006)
German to Romanian
+ ...
create views Apr 21, 2013

memoQ has an excellent function: create views (from selected files of the same project); it should be useful

Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not exactly my case May 17, 2013

Radu Nicolaescu wrote:

memoQ has an excellent function: create views (from selected files of the same project); it should be useful

Thank you for your suggestion. It's not exactly the issue I'm trying to cope with.
I sometimes get one file which contains all the section of a car owner's manual. This is so for small cars, mini minis. For larger cars, actually referred to as XL cars, I get a few dozen files, each containing a separate section of the manual.
For a number of reasons I want to keep them together. What I have to cope with is dozens of files with exactly the same names, which I can tell apart only by looking very closely at the path of the folder they are stored in. NOT VERY GOOD for managing files and inherently risky. Just too easy to make a silly mistake and export wrong files for a wrong car. And it can take a lot of effort to get back on the right track.
I hope I have made my case clearer now.
I still haven't found the answer to the question how to manage dozens of files, often with the same or similar names.
Has anyone has found a solution?
Thank you for sharing!
Krzysztof

Janneke Hopman
Netherlands
Local time: 00:03
English to Dutch
Import folder structure could be it May 29, 2013

Perhaps you can avoid mistakes in exporting wrong files to wrong folders by importing the original files using 'Import folder structure' and defining a proper relative export path.

This way you won't have to do any exporting to separate location yourself, memoQ does it for you (as long as the relative export path you defined is correct). Just translate all files in the project and export, and every file should be in its own correct (export) folder.

Hope I understood your problem correctly.

Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Janneke May 29, 2013

Janneke Hopman wrote:
Hope I understood your problem correctly.

So it seems.
This may be it.
Thank you!
Cheers

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

managing files in a large project

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search