https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/248909-memoq_translators_enemy.html

MemoQ - translator's enemy?
Thread poster: AngelaB
AngelaB
AngelaB
Local time: 04:41
Portuguese to English
May 14, 2013

I've recently started working for a new client, using MemoQ exclusively. It's the first time I've used this CAT tool, provided by the company, but I feel that it is not to my advantage. I've found that I earn more, or almost the same, from proofreading than translation. And sometimes the translations I get to proofread seem to have been barely more than "pre-translated".
Has anybody else had this problem?

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:41
English to Hebrew
+ ...
MemoQ is not a scam May 15, 2013

If I understood correctly, the situation that you have described doesn't seem to have anything to do with MemoQ, which is a very legitimate translation environment, and a lot more to do with a bad, abusive, and unprofessional agency client, of which, sadly, there is no shortage in the marketplace.

[Edited at 2013-05-15 02:53 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:41
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't get it May 15, 2013

As the colleague said already, memoQ is just the CAT tool. Your customer could have required you to use any other tool and your situation would be the same.

If the texts you get for proofreading have a low quality, you should clearly state that to your customer so that they choose better translators or better processes. If the situation does not change in a short time, you should clearly charge more for your work or discontinue the work. You are your own boss!

I don't q
... See more
As the colleague said already, memoQ is just the CAT tool. Your customer could have required you to use any other tool and your situation would be the same.

If the texts you get for proofreading have a low quality, you should clearly state that to your customer so that they choose better translators or better processes. If the situation does not change in a short time, you should clearly charge more for your work or discontinue the work. You are your own boss!

I don't quite understand what the problem is, and don't see why memoQ should be a problem.
Collapse

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I've used MemoQ for more than 2 years May 15, 2013

and really like it. I prefer using it over SDL Trados, which I also have for clients who require it (2007. Studio 2009 + 2011), because I find it more user-friendly and less prone to problems, but others may have a different opinion. I'm in complete agreement with the other posters who point out that what you are experiencing has nothing to do with the CAT tool, and everything to do with shoddy, unprofessional agency practices. It seems to me you are being exploited: The agency isn't paying you ... See more
and really like it. I prefer using it over SDL Trados, which I also have for clients who require it (2007. Studio 2009 + 2011), because I find it more user-friendly and less prone to problems, but others may have a different opinion. I'm in complete agreement with the other posters who point out that what you are experiencing has nothing to do with the CAT tool, and everything to do with shoddy, unprofessional agency practices. It seems to me you are being exploited: The agency isn't paying you enough for your translation work, and is giving you sub-standard translations to "proof-read" to bring them to a standard that should be there to begin with. I would consider dumping this new client, and looking for alternative clients who will remunerate your work more fairly.

Good luck!

Edited for clarity

[Edited at 2013-05-15 08:17 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Moving the thread May 15, 2013

Hi folks,

This thread has been obviously posted in the Scams forum by mistake. Moving it to the MemoQ forum.

Natalia

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Why here? May 15, 2013

Natalie wrote:

Hi folks,

This thread has been obviously posted in the Scams forum by mistake. Moving it to the MemoQ forum.

Natalia

It doesn't seem like this has anything to do with MemoQ... or scams...

MemoQ is a legitimate product used by many and offering a great alternative to Trados and SDL.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
I feel your pain May 15, 2013

Angela O'Driscoll wrote:

I've recently started working for a new client, using MemoQ exclusively. It's the first time I've used this CAT tool, provided by the company, but I feel that it is not to my advantage. I've found that I earn more, or almost the same, from proofreading than translation. And sometimes the translations I get to proofread seem to have been barely more than "pre-translated".
Has anybody else had this problem?

Others have pointed out that your dilemma has nothing to do with MemoQ, which is a CAT tool. Actually, it sounds as if you are being sent translation memories produced by a machine translation (MT) program. MemoQ is merely the go-between in this relationship.

Sometimes people send me MT versions of texts to "revise". I generally reply that it would be quicker, and therefore cheaper, if they just let me retranslate the Italian from scratch. The reason is that if you are translating from a neo-Latin language into English, the corrections you will want to make to the MT draft have more to do with syntax and the organisation of thought than the vocabulary or phraseology, which are the things that MT programs - and non-native or poor native translators - tend to focus on.

Remember that it's up to you which assignments you accept and which you turn down. In the long run, customers will appreciate you more if you take on jobs to which you can add demonstrable value.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ - translator's enemy?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »