Thread poster: Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:45
German to Spanish
May 24, 2013

Hi,

I just take a look at the video "memoQ 2013 introductory webinar...".
The sound is very low quality so maybe I have not understand the point.

You want the translator to put all the information (clients, bills, TMs, etc.) in your server?

Or I didn't understand right?

Regards

István Lengyel
István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Language Terminal May 24, 2013

Hi Fernando,

The idea behind Language Terminal is that we are enabling things that are not possible in a local installation, and also this is independent from the tool you use. LT can be used in conjunction with memoQ but also with other tools. This is where we only see the web technology working efficiently.

You don't have to upload much to LT, and you control what you upload (nothing is uploaded without your consent). If you want automated quotations, you need to uplo
... See more
Hi Fernando,

The idea behind Language Terminal is that we are enabling things that are not possible in a local installation, and also this is independent from the tool you use. LT can be used in conjunction with memoQ but also with other tools. This is where we only see the web technology working efficiently.

You don't have to upload much to LT, and you control what you upload (nothing is uploaded without your consent). If you want automated quotations, you need to upload statistics and price lists. These are just numbers. If you have a problem archiving your translations like I often did (I was always really bad at keeping track of all the small jobs), you can upload documents as well. We are just working on a development to allow the extension of your 1 GB quota in Language Terminal to more using integration with cloud storage services like your Dropbox, Skydrive, etc. if you use those.

Any translator is free to decide whether they use certain functions in the tool or not. I've never had a gmail account myself and I don't plan to have one, and I don't post much personal information on Facebook either (and personally really hate that it exists), so I understand if you don't want to upload anything, not even the figures. On the other hand, we as a company do use Dropbox to share sometimes confidential material, which is not any more or less safe than using Language Terminal. We as a company need to find new ways to offer value to our customers, and attract others with free services, and Language Terminal is one of these ways, though an important one. Today there are over 2000 translators using it frequently, mostly for InDesign conversion with preview, which we enabled by licensing an Adobe InDesign server, a quite expensive technology. This is free for translators. The alternative to achieve the same goal would be that we require every translator to buy InDesign for themselves, and then offer a memoQ filter that reaches out to the local InDesign installation. This would cost ca. 800 euro per translator on top of memoQ's price. So as you see, there are cases when a cloud-based platform offers clear benefits over local tools.

István
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
To organize May 25, 2013

István Lengyel wrote:

Hi Fernando,

The idea behind Language Terminal is that we are enabling things that are not possible in a local installation...

István

With the inDesign files is clear, but...

It is really so hard to implement this part where you can organize your quotes, invoices and customers as a module inside the application?

this could be a great point to choose this application. No CAT takes into account all the time needed to organize customers, invoices, tracking, etc.

Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language Terminal integration in MemoQ 2013

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »