How to avoid automatic propagations of repetitions?
Thread poster: Thomas Johansson

Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:01
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 3, 2013

I need to translate a document with several repetitions that should NOT be translated the same way each time. How do I make sure that my translation of one segment is not automatically carried over to repeated instances of the same string? Does anyone know how to solve this?

The reason the strings should not be translated the same way (although exactly identical) is that they occur in different contexts.


 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:01
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Simple - Disable Autopropagation Jul 3, 2013

While in the translation grid, menu Translation - Auto-Propagation..., disable the Allow auto-propagation checkbox, and click OK. This disables the autopropagation until you enable it again.

Is this what you were needing?


 

Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:01
German to English
Editor Jul 3, 2013

I'm sure you mean Editor mode, TCB...icon_wink.gif Otherwise your advice is perfect. Auto Propagation is soooo annoying and makes the computer freeze for ages!

Don't worry TJ, it only takes a week or two to get the hang of the programme - then you will wonder how you ever lived without it!

Steve K.


 

Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:01
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
protecting specific segments Jul 3, 2013

Thank you for the replies. Disabling Auto propagation sounds like it should do it for me here.

But besides disabling auto propagation, is there any way to "protect" or "lock" specific segments against Auto propagation, so as to protect them from being affected by auto propagation, while having Auto propagation working in the rest of the document? (If not, a hint to the developers...)


 

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:01
German to Spanish
Good... Jul 3, 2013

Thomas Johansson wrote:

Thank you for the replies. Disabling Auto propagation sounds like it should do it for me here.

But besides disabling auto propagation, is there any way to "protect" or "lock" specific segments against Auto propagation, so as to protect them from being affected by auto propagation, while having Auto propagation working in the rest of the document? (If not, a hint to the developers...)


... question.


 

Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:01
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
auto-propagation disabled but continues active Jul 3, 2013

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

While in the translation grid, menu Translation - Auto-Propagation..., disable the Allow auto-propagation checkbox, and click OK. This disables the autopropagation until you enable it again.

Is this what you were needing?


Strange, I've unchecked the Auto-Propagation checkbox and pressed OK but the program still continues to auto-propagate the changes I make...


 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:01
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, simply lock the segments Jul 4, 2013

Thomas Johansson wrote:
But besides disabling auto propagation, is there any way to "protect" or "lock" specific segments against Auto propagation, so as to protect them from being affected by auto propagation, while having Auto propagation working in the rest of the document? (If not, a hint to the developers...)

Yes, when you lock a segment, it is not affected by autopropagation. To lock/unlock a segment, select Edit - Lock/Unlock (default shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+L).


 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:01
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Should not happen Jul 4, 2013

Thomas Johansson wrote:
Strange, I've unchecked the Auto-Propagation checkbox and pressed OK but the program still continues to auto-propagate the changes I make...

Hm... Sounds really strange. If the Allow Auto-propagation checkbox is disabled in the Translation - Auto-propagation menu, propagation should not happen. Are you sure this is happening? What exact version of memoQ do you use?


 

Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:01
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Jul 4, 2013

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Thomas Johansson wrote:
Strange, I've unchecked the Auto-Propagation checkbox and pressed OK but the program still continues to auto-propagate the changes I make...

Hm... Sounds really strange. If the Allow Auto-propagation checkbox is disabled in the Translation - Auto-propagation menu, propagation should not happen. Are you sure this is happening? What exact version of memoQ do you use?


I'm using "version 6.5.8 (translator pro)". Anyway, I solved this problem by closing and re-opening the program.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to avoid automatic propagations of repetitions?

Advanced search






TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across Translator Edition and Across Language Server v7
Meet our brand new version and speed up your translation processes!

Deliver high-quality translations with our fast and secure solutions. You can also integrate machine translation and other third-party systems. The Across Translator Basic Edition is free for freelancers. Start now and discover new business opportuniti

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search