jump back to segment I was working on after no results in a search
Thread poster: Patricia Martin
Patricia Martin
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Aug 5, 2013

Say for example I'm searching for something I thought was in the document earlier, I do a search within the source (not concordance or ctrl + f) but just up in the source filter box. I don't get any results, I cancel the filter but it brings me back to the top of the document and it takes forever to scroll down back to where I was working. Is there an option I'm missing or is this going to be a dumb blonde moment for something really simple. Is there a way I can enter the segment number somewhere to automatically jump to that segment?

On a similar but unrelated note, sometimes I forget to clear the filter search when I'm working and a match doesn't show up. Clearing the filter and searching again solves the problem, but is there some kind of warning option I could check to where it warns me I'm searching within a search, or should I just be more careful?

Just minor annoyances but I wonder if I'm just simply going about this in the wrong way.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxTheAlphaSens
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:18
English to French
CTRL+SHIFT+G Aug 5, 2013

CTRL+SHIFT+G and enter the row number in the field "Row number".
(also accessible from Edit > Goto Next Settings)

I agree this should be more obvious, it took me ages to find out about that option. They could add this field at the top of the main interface, right next to the filter fields for example.

As for your second question: it is by design. The logic is that it lets you "sub-filter" an already filtered list.

You can still use CTRL+SHIFT+F to clear a filter (less annoying than using the mouse...).

[Edited at 2013-08-05 10:28 GMT]

Patricia Martin
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That saves time, but the original problem still remains. Aug 6, 2013

Thanks! Both of those shortcuts should give me a couple minutes of my life back.

Those are great but if I get zero results in the search and I try CTRL+SHIFT+F, it doesn't clear the filter and I have to use the mouse to cancel it and then enter CTRL+SHIFT+G to jump to the row. If I try to jump back to the row directly using CTRL+SHIFT+G it says "the row number you entered does not exist in this document" since it's filtered. Annoying.

I guess I could do a normal CTRL+F search using "mark all" and check the "list results" check box. However I have to continuously check the "list results" check box every time I do a search which is also annoying. Not to mention if I have really long segments then it's really hard to see everything at once since I can only view one full segment at the top at a time, the rest are crunched down into an excel-like spreadsheet below. Also annoying.

P.S. Is there a keyboard shortcut to automatically jump to the filter source search without using the mouse?

[Edited at 2013-08-06 00:35 GMT]

xxxTheAlphaSens
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:18
English to French
Indeed Aug 6, 2013

Patricia Martin wrote:

(...) if I get zero results in the search and I try CTRL+SHIFT+F, it doesn't clear the filter and I have to use the mouse to cancel it and then enter CTRL+SHIFT+G to jump to the row.

Indeed... I had never realised that. I wonder if it's a bug? I don't see any logical reason for that behaviour.

I guess I could do a normal CTRL+F search using "mark all" and check the "list results" check box. However I have to continuously check the "list results" check box every time I do a search which is also annoying. Not to mention if I have really long segments then it's really hard to see everything at once since I can only view one full segment at the top at a time, the rest are crunched down into an excel-like spreadsheet below. Also annoying.

Alright, but why would you use CTRL+F searches in the first place anyway? If you do get results, then the top filter will work just fine (so 99% of the time...). In the long run, jumping back and forth from the list results and having to use the poor editing capabilities would be more time consuming than having to click on the Unfilter button when you don't get any result.

P.S. Is there a keyboard shortcut to automatically jump to the filter source search without using the mouse?

Unfortunately, no.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

jump back to segment I was working on after no results in a search

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search