https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/253976-how_to_count_words_only_for_one_language_in_a_multilingual_document.html

How to count words only for one language in a multilingual document
Thread poster: Liga V.
Liga V.
Liga V.
Local time: 02:57
English to Latvian
+ ...
Aug 5, 2013

Dear All,

I would really apreciate your help with the following.

I have been asked to quote on a translation project where the source file contains texts in several languages, and I need to translate only the text that is in one particular language. The segments have not been marked in any way. Due to the fiile format I would be translating it in memoQ which is totally new for me but I'm not sure I would know how to do this in Trados neither.

I would appre
... See more
Dear All,

I would really apreciate your help with the following.

I have been asked to quote on a translation project where the source file contains texts in several languages, and I need to translate only the text that is in one particular language. The segments have not been marked in any way. Due to the fiile format I would be translating it in memoQ which is totally new for me but I'm not sure I would know how to do this in Trados neither.

I would appreciate any ideas on how to calculate the total number of words (and repetitions) in this situation.
Collapse

TheAlphaSens (X)
TheAlphaSens (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:57
English to French
Format? Aug 5, 2013

What's the file format?

Carl Carter
Carl Carter
Germany
Local time: 01:57
German to English
+ ...
Ask the customer to do it or ask for an Excel file Aug 6, 2013

If you're going to be working on a multilingual project and translating software strings, then the customer might have sent you an Excel file containing the source-language strings in one column and additional columns for each target language. If that's the case, open it in Excel, mark the whole source column and copy it into a blank TXT or Word file and count it there. (One text editor you might use is Notepad++, which comes with a word counter under TextFX > TextFX Tools.)

Another
... See more
If you're going to be working on a multilingual project and translating software strings, then the customer might have sent you an Excel file containing the source-language strings in one column and additional columns for each target language. If that's the case, open it in Excel, mark the whole source column and copy it into a blank TXT or Word file and count it there. (One text editor you might use is Notepad++, which comes with a word counter under TextFX > TextFX Tools.)

Another way of doing it would be to mark all the text you don't want to measure, hide it or save it in another format that memoQ can ignore, and then import the file into memoQ and measure it there (under "Statistics"). (See the help documentation - press F1 - for more details.)

If the source file is another format and the various languages are mixed up, then it will probably be very fiddly and time-consuming to measure the number of words in the source language. You could either do it manually after arranging to charge a special price for making the quotation or get the customer to do it him/herself if he/she doesn't wish to pay for the service.

It doesn't sound as though you should make a free quotation in this case as there may not be a quick way of measuring the file.

Another idea would be to get the customer to produce a new source file which only contains the original source language. That ought to be relatively easy to measure and quote for. It all depends on the file format.

Regards

Carl
Collapse

Liga V.
Liga V.
Local time: 02:57
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TheAlphaSense Aug 6, 2013

The file format is an .idml (Adobe InDesign) file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to count words only for one language in a multilingual document

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »