Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:53
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 22, 2013

I migrated to memoQ recenty, so, I have some questions about TMs.
The working TMs are really big there.
Can I compact of reorganize TMs? Can I filter TMs by some meta-data?
(Like it was it Trados 2007, SDLX... to save space and speed up the search.)

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
They are as big as you make them Oct 23, 2013

Sergey, sorry for answering in English. Since for both of us Russian is the native language, that may seem a bit odd, but maybe what I want to say is of interest to other new MQ users. I think you are probably trying to create "the mother of all translation memories". Correct me if I am wrong. This is the wrong approach. TMs in MQ should be project-specific (like all other resources i.e. term bases and live corpora). It makes them much more manageable and reduces search time. They are easier t... See more
Sergey, sorry for answering in English. Since for both of us Russian is the native language, that may seem a bit odd, but maybe what I want to say is of interest to other new MQ users. I think you are probably trying to create "the mother of all translation memories". Correct me if I am wrong. This is the wrong approach. TMs in MQ should be project-specific (like all other resources i.e. term bases and live corpora). It makes them much more manageable and reduces search time. They are easier to edit. It does not mean that a TM cannot be used with other projects. When you open ANY project you see the complete list of ALL the TMs. One of them at the top of the list will be in bold. This is the primary TM where all your translation in this project will be recorded. If it is the wrong TM click on the small square on the left to remove the selection and then click on the TM you want to make primary and by ticking off the small square on the left of any other TM name you can make it an active TM for this particular job of the project. You can tick off as many TMs as you wish, so that means there's no sense in creating mother TMs.
BUT NEVER delete a TM from the list thinking you will just make the list for this projects shorter as it will delete the memory from your system.

Best regards,
Collapse

Carl Carter
Carl Carter
Germany
Local time: 10:53
German to English
+ ...
TM management is rather limited in memoQ at present Oct 23, 2013

Hi Sergei,

I agree with what Alexey has said - you're better off using a number of TMs based on your customers and/or specific subject areas as these will obviously be smaller than a single TM used for everything. Using customer- or subject-specific TMs will also give you matches that are often useful because they are related to what you are currently translating, whereas matches from a single TM may be less useful if they come from a variety of subject areas or projects.

... See more
Hi Sergei,

I agree with what Alexey has said - you're better off using a number of TMs based on your customers and/or specific subject areas as these will obviously be smaller than a single TM used for everything. Using customer- or subject-specific TMs will also give you matches that are often useful because they are related to what you are currently translating, whereas matches from a single TM may be less useful if they come from a variety of subject areas or projects.

Apart from that, I believe it can be useful to repair a TM in memoQ every now and again as the re-indexing of the entries that then takes place tidies up the TM by (re-)establishing the correct links between source and target segments. I couldn't find anything in the help documentation about this for memoQ 6.2, but I remember reading this is an earlier version a while ago.

TM management is not very sophisticated in memoQ yet (although many users have been calling for better management for some time). You can go to the Resource Console and open and edit any TM there. If you want to do things with your data that aren't envisaged in memoQ at the moment, you can export your TMs to TMX format (using the command for that) and import them into a third-party tool like Xbench (http://www.xbench.net/), which some users find very helpful.

I'd also recommend you to ask your questions on the memoQ mailing list run by Yahoo!, which Kilgray also responds to. I'm sure you'll get some more advice there. And you could contact Kilgray's Support team about it, too, of course.

Best,

Carl

[Edited at 2013-10-23 13:10 GMT]
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 23, 2013

Carl, thanks for the answer. It is the Resource Console I was looking for.

I did not mean having ONE "mother of all TMs", as Alexey understood, but the point was how to filter/sort/maintain ONE TM in order to improve its quality (remove "source=target" segments, numerical segments and all the junk of the kind).

I was looking for a tool to browse and edit the TM outside the translation workflow.

... See more
Carl, thanks for the answer. It is the Resource Console I was looking for.

I did not mean having ONE "mother of all TMs", as Alexey understood, but the point was how to filter/sort/maintain ONE TM in order to improve its quality (remove "source=target" segments, numerical segments and all the junk of the kind).

I was looking for a tool to browse and edit the TM outside the translation workflow.

Thanks again.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM maintenance

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »